Author Topic: 56 Inch Osage Stave  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Bill Skinner

56 Inch Osage Stave
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:01:14 pm »
I have an osage stave that is 56" long and just over an inch wide. I would like to make a bend in the handle D bow.  It has a very clean back with 3, very small pin knots, all in the center of the stave.  I don't plan to back the bow at this time.  I plan to use a thumb ring and only hold the bow with thumb and forefinger.  Should it be a smooth rectangle from center to tips?  Or should it be tapered down to about 1/2 at the tips?  How whip ended should it be?  I was thinking of leaving the last 3 inches stiff and letting the center 50 do the work.  Can I make this work with a 28" draw?  Bill 

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: 56 Inch Osage Stave
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »
Hey Bill!  I think it would be do-able if you get a very good tiller on it and go slow... How many lbs are you going for?  I would make it full width from mid limb to mid limb and taper from midlimb to 1/2" tips. I would go as wide as possible to get more wood working to withstand such a short length and long draw.  It is going to have a bunch of stack at that draw length so you might want to flip the tips up a little bit to reduce the string angle.  Good luck and go slow, I think you could pull it off.  Especially if it's good osage.  :)  It would probably last longer and be more stable with a sinew backing though...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »
I am down here in southern Alabama, 80%+ humidity does bad things to sinew backing.  I am going for 35-40#, that is at a 26" draw.  I looked at my post, the 28 draw is doable, just not by me.  I have a couple more pieces the same length, I wanted to see if I could make something from it.  I figure pin nocks are definately out?  Bill

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:05 pm »
So the stave is actually shorter than double your draw length. Remember you will loose at least an inch for the nocks.  So that brings it to 57 in. I think it is too short for a 28 in draw. 24 in is safe unless backed with rawhide.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline John K

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:42:51 pm »
28 is pushing it i think, but what do have you have loose..i'd use pin nocks and flip the tips alittle.

Good luck, it really doesn't take much Osage to make a good bow !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:53:37 pm »
28" it a pretty tough draw for a 56" bow.  But if you take your time and get the whole thing bending it's possible.  Especially if you the stave is nice and clean.  I made a shorty unbacked osage a while back.  It is 53" long and I draw it to just under 27".  At that point it stops.   ;)  It is 1 1/4" wide all the way to the last 1/3 of the limb and tapers to 3/4" at the nock.  It's a really bendy handled flatbow design.  Just take your time and don't get too attached to it as you build it.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »
Hey Bill if you have a few more pieces why not just splice them at the handle and make a longer bow?  That's what I would do if I were really committed to the 28" draw... A nice W splice with stiff handle and you could take two pieces, join them at the handle, and make a bigger bow.  I know what you mean about the humidity... I live just above birmingham...  See ya at the next ASTB shoot, I should be there...  ;)  I missed the Spring Fling shoot but I should be at the next one.  I will bring my knapping buddy Erik again so you two can knock out some more of those awesome points.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 12:08:06 am »
Most of the stuff in the barn is longer than 56", some over twice as long.  This is a little stave I got in a deal, I wanted to see if I could make a flatbow that short.  I am not a very good bow maker but I saw a flatbow a few years ago and have planned on making one ever since.  This stave is basically a rectangle 56" long X 1" wide X 3/4" thick, all I have to do is thin it down so it bends uniformly.  I figure the tips will be slightly thicker than the majority of the bow if I thin them to 1/2 inch wide.   I am doing all the work with a scraper, right now, it is barely floor tillered.  The handle section is only going to be about 2", my grip looks like an "OK" with just thumb and index finger touching the bow and I figure it will only be about 1/8" thicker than the rest of the bow and that is so I can round it slightly so the edges don't dig in.  That's the plan, anyways, I will see what happens.  And thanks for the compliment about the knapping, I have good days every now and then.  Bill 

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 10:44:15 am »
To me it sounds like about the perfect stave to make a bow like that.  I've done a couple that length with just hickory boards, only slightly wider and they've performed great. 
1’—>1’

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 12:18:32 pm »
  I'd say if it was a little wider I'd go for it. But I like pushing the limits. Save it for a kids bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 12:35:22 am »
At 35 at 26, it pretty much will be a kids bow, the poundage is the minimum legal hunting weight in Alabama.  Bill

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 02:24:14 am »
I think it's worth a try Bill.  It doesn't take much osage to make a bow.  Pin knots should be no problem.   I have a 52" bend through the handle osage that does 55lbs at 26".  I doubt it's over an inch wide.  Be prepared for some stack though.  You're going to be amazed how thin the bow will have to be for 35lbs.  I would start narrowing the limbs about 6" from the tips.  If you flip the tips I'd keep them a little wider than if it is straight.  Either way, unless you like the way a rectangle bow looks, I'd go down to narrower tips.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Boudreaux

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 03:54:39 am »
yes! you can do it. I have been building nothing but skinny bows latley. I gave a 7/8 wide at the handle bendy though the handle one is 52 ntn and one is 58. the 52 is 49lbs the 58 is 56lbs so yes it can be done and with good tiller make imo the quietest bow there is.
Thanks
Boswell