Author Topic: persimmion tree for bow wood?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Bow Nut

persimmion tree for bow wood?
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:31:40 pm »
has any one ever tried making a bow out of a persimmon tree.  I have lots of big ones at my disposal and from what I can tell most fruit trees work well so though it might make a good bow but dont want to cut them down untill I know for sure.

thanks

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: persimmion tree for bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:55 pm »
I have a short stave that I am working with now.  I will tell you to watch for twist in the tree.  I have cut two persimmons and both twisted about 180 degrees in 6'.  Also when you split it out be sure to clamp it down like you want it to be and let it dry for a few weeks to a month like that before unclamping it.  The wood will go all over the place if you dont.  I have not tried this but I think you could split, peel the bark rough it in a little and then steam and clamp damp to take out the twist and bends etc.  Also when you peel the bark now there will be a yellow sap that comes out on the back it will stain your hands pretty good and may irritate your skin.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:59:26 pm »
Many Bows have been made out of Persimmon.

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »
What if you quarter sawed it into boards? I have found one for free but am debating on whether it would be worth the drive.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »
it will make a fine bow .
bryan irwin

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:17:55 pm »
I've made several out of Persimmon. Makes a nice bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:08:09 am »
Persimmon make a fine bow,it is really bad about checking while it is green so be sure to seal it good and keep it in a dry cool place for a while after it is cut until it dries and seasons a little. :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46:24 am »
makes a good bow, green persimmon will twist like a barber pole so i like to strap it down till it dries some.first one i cut was split into 4 staves and 2 of them did a full 360 twist.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »
   Your quite right it will swist. When stating out the first one I cut and split some staves did this really bad. So I cut at split in half and have left so whole to dry. Then split works really well dry no stwists and I never had a bow fail. They came out good bows. I looked back in my bow journals and I made 7 bows and traded and sold 5 other staves. I only used persimmon early on from 86 to 89 but would'nt histate to build another bow from it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:14 pm »
thanks guys we have about 100 of them and they are all weird for persimmon trees they are very tall and straight like 40 footers and the branches dont even start until about the last 10 feet.  they are about 6 to 8 inches in diameter.  there should be a ton of staves there I will cut one and try it but I like to keep most persimmons to attracts critters like deer hogs and coyotes.  most the persimmons other than these i have seen grow big but are very branchy and short thick trunks.  these look great and they drop a ton of fruit because they are all in like a 1/2 acre to 1 acre area like the were planted and pruned for the first many years of there lives or something. 

Thanks For all the help guys