Author Topic: Need dye help  (Read 1561 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

Need dye help
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:22:41 pm »
   Hey   guys,  I  know  it's  all  been  done  before,  and I  have  been  looking  through old  posts   but  I'd  like  to  try  a  fade  job  on  a  bbh  bow,,,  and  knowing  me,,,  I  dont  want  to  end up  with  a  all  black  bow  ::)   I've  seen  some  great  looking  bows  here  but  I'd love to  know  a  fairly  safe   bet on  a  first  time  try???   the  colors  I  like  are  green  browns ect.  But  I  don't know,,   maybe  dark  from  the  handle  and  fade lighter to  the  tips????   I'm  not  good with  colors  my  better  half won't let  me  dress  my  self for  outings,,, she  say's  the  fashion police are  after me? ;D  so  thanks  far  any  help  and  pics,  and I  did  read what  D,Torges wrote about it and I  didn't get it  any way  thanks  JEFFW

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Need dye help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:50:06 pm »
You could try airbrushing the stain/dye.  Not sure how the pros on here do it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:25 pm »
I've seen some good video tutorials online on how to do a sunburst finish, which I think its what you're referring to. I think there's a lot of technique in putting the dye on that give it a good faded look.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:09:33 pm »
Most of the Pro's I know use the technique of blowing it on through a reservoir an tube.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 09:14:42 pm »
Just do it by hand. Start with you lighter colors and fade them in wiping with your alcohol,make sure you have a clean rag handy soaked up. After you get your light color down the limb, fading to nothing, then go with a darker color fading into the first color. Takes some practice and patience but you will soon get the hang of it.