Author Topic: drying bark-on 2 reflex  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Postman

drying bark-on 2 reflex
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:55:30 am »
Got to do a quick osage run today,  but noticed some carpenter ants as I was unloading the main log, so I decided to crack it open and section it to remove them.   Luckily all the damage is in the middle, and all but one of these splits should work out. The 3 other logs seem OK.

I loaned my copy of HOB out to the guy who got me permission to cut, and gave him a stave for him and one for his son. Since this one is  already sectioned, I might try to let the bark stay to pull into reflex as in HOB.
 Anybody ever try the bark on thing? I think it  said to reduce to near bow dimensions and shellac the INSIDE  of the split...but should i wait a bit first?

Also, would putting them inside cause them to dry TOO fast?

No worries about the ants, btw...bug spray + hard frost tonight.

"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Timo

Re: drying bark-on 2 reflex
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:47:01 am »
See the carpenter ants alot around here mainly in big trees.  Of the four logs I got Thursday one had the ants, They were to cold to move.No worries. ;)

I never had much luck with the bark drawing reflex . I just put it in later.

I keep mine inside my shop,with the ends are sealed well.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: drying bark-on 2 reflex
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:55:00 am »
Don't think the ants will hurt much,I keep mine inside,no heat but out of the weather,I haven't had much luck with the bark drawing reflex except on small trees or limbs,it will do it to them sometimes.
Sometimes to much. :) As far as big stuff never seen much use,I do like Timo. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good