Author Topic: Anybody cut bow wood in Georgia or Southern MO (or N Arkansas)  (Read 9327 times)

oak

Just wondering if anybody cuts wood in either state.  I am trying to get into bow making and would like to get some staves.  I am new to Georgia so I don't know anybody out here or really good trees to cut out here.  I'm from California and most of what we had where I lived was Oak and most of what I would have ever had an opportunity to cut wouldn't have been great for bows.

I'm kinda hoping that somebody out here cuts there own and I might be able to get some for helping with the cutting and splitting.  Also some instruction in the native hardwoods suitable would be nice.  I also mention Southern MO because I have a 10 acre farm there that is getting overrun and hasn't seen major property clearing since my dad bought it around '70, it is in Ozark county about 20 miles north of the Arkansas border.

Blake

PS: I'm young and able bodied, have tools, access to a 15 foot trailer ;D, and a pretty big truck :) with a short bed:( (thus being why the trailer is such a good thing)

Offline jignfrog

Re: Anybody cut bow wood in Georgia or Southern MO (or N Arkansas)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »
Hey Blake

I am in Marshfield, Missouri a little north of where your land is. But if you want to come up sometime I will show you what I have and what some trees around here look like I am sure we can find something you will like. Just PM me and we can set up a time to meet. I am not sure what kind of wood is in Georgia but I bet there will be someone respond that will know about trees down there. Good luck

Ron
Bruner Missouri

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:09:33 pm »
Depending on what part of Georgia you're in, you should have several varieties of hickory, slippery and winged elm, persimmon, ash, hackberry, eastern red cedar, black walnut, white oak, red oak, dogwood, sassafrass, black locust, mulberry, hophornbeam, hornbeam, maybe some osage, and probably several more potential bow woods.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 02:50:31 pm »
I think Hillbilly covered most of the bases. I was born and lived in Savannah, GA for 28 years and still hunt in GA near Athens. What part of GA are you familiar with.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

oak

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:28:19 pm »
uh well thats the thing, I'm not familiar with any of it.  I have only been here since the 18 if Dec.  Haven't got much of a chance to get out and explore the state to much.  I currently live in the Lilburn-Stone Mountain area (about 20-25 miles north east of Atlanta). 

I usually know an oak when I see it but these oaks out here have those nice smooth leaves, we had some of those in my part of CA but it was mostly a type that the leaf was more like on a Holy.  I know fruitless mulberry and some of the other fruit woods and nut woods as I have had them on property that I have lived on but that is pretty much just apple, apricot, pear, and walnut, and almond (I guess walnut is actually a fruit wood too since it is a drupe).  There were dogwood bushes closer to the coast where I lived but those were bushes not trees, I know I have seen elm before but I cannot remember the leaf as it has been a long time since I learned about it, it's the same case with the dogwood leaves (if it was even nearly the same).  Other than that I can't think of seeing any of that list before first hand.  The bad part is I have worked in a nursery before, but we only sold fruit trees and ornamentals and that was like six years ago.

Anyways thanks for the help, and anybody down around these parts heck even those in the border states can speak up, I'm not opposed to driving six or seven hours to cut wood if it would make a good bow as long as I have gas money (I'm kinda poor right now so until I can spare gas money I can't go on any long trips).  Also I have a crew cab truck that will seat four adults very comfortably and access too a 15' trailer so if people ever want to do a big group cut and car pool I'm game.  My truck only has a five and a half foot bed so the trailer is kinda needed to haul a lot, but I could probably do a good five or six logs or more depending on size without the trailer.

If anybodies interested just give me a holler
Blake

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 05:35:29 pm »
Blake, If you can come to the N C State Championships near Hickory NC on May 25, 26 and 27 I will give you some wood to work with. I'll be helping a guy build his first also so you can sit in and build one too.
If you want directions or other info about the shoot check out <thecta.org> , scroll down to the bottom and click on "State Championship". Hope you can make it.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

oak

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 06:16:38 pm »
Pat I'd love to get up there for the championships but I don't really think it is in the cards right now.  As it is I am hoping to get up there for a tournament in Durham on June 9, and I don't have the money for that either.

I did look up directions and found out that if you still live in Brevard it is kinda on my way up there and it is only about three hours from me.  I like to make the most of my trips with the cost of gas and having a truck that only gets 18 mpg, but I guess that is good for a fullsize.  I just need to find work in a machine shop again there is nor enough work for me with my cousins business and my uncles as well.

I just recently really found this forum and like it a lot.  I have spent a lot of time on the Leatherwall for many years but my main interest has mostly been studying about horn bows, and with Chris Constantine of spitfire horsebows there giving the worst info I have seen and his attitude I don't really care to go on many threads that he is on.

Blake

Offline jpitts

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 01:14:25 am »
Hi Blake,
If you'll go over to TradGang.com and then go to the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia section, look for Dirty Dan. He had some wood last time I looked. Also Murray Gaskins, Alternative Bow Woods.com ,  sells it.  You can also contact the Georgia Forestry Commission and get their book , Trees of Georgia sent to you too.
Welcome to Georgia
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 07:33:40 pm »
I also mention Southern MO because I have a 10 acre farm there that is getting overrun and hasn't seen major property clearing since my dad bought it around '70, it is in Ozark county about 20 miles north of the Arkansas border.

That's beautiful country.
:D

You should be able to find some: Osage, hickory, walnut, maple, persimmon, black locust, or oak on that property that will work. I've heard all of those mentioned on her as bow woods.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:35:22 pm by PepeLep »
Doug from Missouri

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 07:34:28 pm »
I am in Marshfield, Missouri a little north of where your land is.

My daughter graduated from Marshfield.

I still own property in Elkland.
Doug from Missouri