Author Topic: Plains Indian beaded Bow cases and quivers. (pics)  (Read 8967 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Plains Indian beaded Bow cases and quivers. (pics)
« on: May 30, 2011, 06:30:30 pm »
I have been busy making a few bowcases and quiver sets. Here is one I completed recently.
I have always wanted to make a quiver set from a long horn cow hide. Plains tribes found these animals very useful when the buffalo started to dissappear and made use of their meat and hides.
This bowcase shows much symbolism in the beaded designs . The design on the quivers drop that looks like a "Q" were the symbols used for the whirlwind or tornado and the symbol that looks like a cross is the symbol used for the morning star.
The little bag attached between the strap would be used to carry glue, extra arrowheads and a flint and steel.

The beadwork is done is czech 11/0 glass seed beads and the red cloth is trade wool.

Enjoy the pics.

Eric

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Plains Indian beaded Bow cases and quivers. (pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 06:43:39 pm »
Sweet work...I have always wanted to try on myself...but have never found the time to start on one...too much other stuff going on...and A.D.H.D plays hell on your concentration...especially with bead work.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 06:48:09 pm »
very nice craftminship, especially the beadwork.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:49:41 pm »
As always beautiful work Eric. I love your stuff. Thanks for sharing and showing. Is that a finished "eka-who" inside it.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:54:15 pm »
As always beautiful work Eric. I love your stuff. Thanks for sharing and showing. Is that a finished "eka-who" inside it.

No black hawk the "Eka-who" - red wood or "ette"- bow as it would be called is still in the works, its a gull wing shaped. the thukas in the quiver are over 100 years old!  8)

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »
Eric, Awesome and beautiful quiver.

Donnie
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:46:38 am »
 ;D Very nice Bro love it,  >:D For me LOL definitely top notch. ;D ;D ;D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »
Wow!  Very nice!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 01:01:39 pm »
Awesome....thanks. that's what I thought. It looked kinda thick yet. And I can only imagine the stories those thukas could tell.  :) have you heard them?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »
nice work, that bead work looks like it takes a lot of patience?, what kind of beads are they ? and where would they have got them originaly? also what is that symbol ? if you dont mind all the questions!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 05:12:41 pm »
Work of art!

Where schould I read from Indian symbolism?
I ve found your homepage ;) More pics would be nice.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »
Dragonman...most of your questions were answered in my first post. As to where did they get beads. Beads were trade items brought in by the French and English traders.
Thread was not introduced until the 1860's so most beadwork before then was sinew sewn. Even after thread was introduced sinew was the main sewing material for the Plains tribes even into the early 1900's.

Fusizoli...Indian symbolism is hard to learn about because many of the symbols were only known to the owner of the symbol. The few symbols that are know can be found in various books. Here are some known  symbols...tornado/ whirlwind, morning star, dragonfly, horse track, buffalo and bear track and the four winds. Each symbol could have various meaning to the owners. For example four horse hoof tracks could mean four stolen ponies, a bear track could mean bear killed or the owner had bear medicine...etc...etc. I would need a book to discuss all the Indian Symbolism possibalities.

Eric

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:18:18 pm »
you'r right Indianguy... that 'll teach me to read things and not just look at the pictures!!!!! ::)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:02 pm »
Thats why I ask :)

I haven't got the "big " books from Indians but read some in my life. Now makeing bows and other things and like to know what I do.
Mean like to know the main symbols whan decorating a bow or a quiver. Now I'm going after my feelings and after amnh.org

So if U will write a book or have any information from a book like this, please send me a PM please. :)

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »
Lucky find  ;D  Looking fore some more inspiration and find this under a bow pic.

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/bitstream/2246/204/1/A007a01.pdf

Not too much but more than nothing.