Author Topic: quarter sawn or flat sawn  (Read 3780 times)

Offline DennisM

quarter sawn or flat sawn
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:28:49 am »
First post, but have been lurking, reading and trying to learn for a few months. I am planning my first bow.  Good wood for staves are scarce here in South Florida and I thought a board bow would be a good start for a first bow.  I read an article on the web maybe 12 yrs ago on building Self Bows and thought I would give it a try.  Long story short this led me to how to build a draw knife, which led me into custom knife building and never got back to the bow.
So I'm back where I started. I have read all I can find on the web, TBB2 and the Bent Stick.  A lot of the info I have gathered seems contradictory. I've been looking in local lumber yards and have found a large White Ash board 2"X 8"X 8' flat sawn thru the center of a large log, it looks like you could chase a growth ring from either side.  I have also found some nice straight grained quarter sawn white oak.  If I under stand correctly either could be used but is one type better than the other ie flat sawn vs quarter sawn.
Also thinking of a Meare Heath style 45-50# @29'

Thanks for any and all replies in advance

Dennis

Offline Badger

Re: quarter sawn or flat sawn
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:58:32 am »
  I sometimes buy flat sawn but as you said you need to chase a growth ring so make sure you will have enough wood to do that. 1/4 sawn is bullet proof if the rings lines are running straight. I would go with the white oak over the ash, sometimes the ash is great but it tends to ne inconsistent. If the ash feels prety dense it should be ok.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:26:21 am »
Look for straight grained board of either of the 3 cuts. Check the face grain for flat and rift sawn. Check the edge grain for 1/4 sawn. I allow 2 run outs (run ups) per limb. My site has info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DennisM

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:21:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies

I can understand how the flat sawn and quarter sawn  would work,  but it seems if you used rift sawn the limbs would want to twist when drawn, or am I wrong?
I'm from Kentucky and know all the old timers used White Oak for about everything.
As long as it doesn't contact the ground it will last a long long time. So I'm leaning towards the quarter sawn White Oak.  Cut timber for a few years there mostly White Oak, Beech, and Poplar.  Going back on vacation in July, may try to find some Hickory for staves.

George; Great site, read it all before I ever posted here.

Dennis

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:51 am »
white oak quarter sawn is damn near bullitt proof, it's some tuff stuff and I've made good self bows and used it for backing, no failures yet :D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹