Author Topic: Tapering the ends for the nocks  (Read 7872 times)

SimonUK

Tapering the ends for the nocks
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:23:51 pm »
Hi Guys

When you taper the ends of the bow for the nocks, do you angle the taper so that one edge follows the single growth ring of the back? Or do you taper it symetrically like when you taper an arrow shaft ready for the arrowhead? Hope you know what I mean. It's for a yew bow I'm making.

Thanks

Simon

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Re: Tapering the ends for the nocks
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 08:30:33 pm »
On the MR bows the taper is only on the sides and belly, so the nocks must have been pointing slightly forward.

SimonUK

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:14:13 pm »
great stuff kviljo ...thanks

Rod

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:01:45 am »
Kviljo appears to be confusing tillering taper with taper of the nock "cone". Generally the nock cone is quite symmetrical, though it may on some examples be slightly forward in angle.
Rod.

SimonUK

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 10:08:44 am »
Ah, thanks Rod. Yesterday the bow in question developed an enormous fret towards the end of tillering  :'( so it's all academic now. Maybe I'll put nocks on my next ash bow.

Rod

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:20:35 am »
Sometimes a fret can be sanded out if caught earkly enough, but this is less likely to be succesful if the fret is caused by uneven tiller or a weakness in the wood.
I have cured a fret caused by a ding or crease in the belly by doing this, but it must be caught early whilst the fret is still shallow.
Rod.

SimonUK

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 06:21:18 pm »
This one is very deep. In fact the whole belly has slid sideways on itself. I think it happened because there was a crack in the side of the belly, plus a bit of uneven tillering.

So frustrating after all that time spent chasing a ring on the back - if only that could be the last part of the job.

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:37:20 pm »
Save the good limb so you can join it to another billet.   ;)

SimonUK

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:50:21 pm »
Splicing... that's one thing I haven't tried. Maybe next year.

I've already started on another ash bow. I'm sure with a high enough draw weight I'll get a reasonable performance from ash.

Rod

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 10:06:31 am »
That was a traditional form of "apprentice" bow, taking two dissimilar halves and making one bow of them...
Rod.