Author Topic: Frances Pennington's Crossbow  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Frances Pennington's Crossbow
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:53:56 pm »
A fella by the name of Francis Pennington from Burbank Ca. asked me to post his crossbow for him and to run it in the BOM contest.  He is a long-time subscriber to the magazine but is "computer illiterate" so I am helping him out by posting it for him.   :) :)  It is a very nice crossbow, what do ya think guys?

Here's the specs from Francis:
"A friend has asked me if I could make a crossbow for him, but keep it under 60 lb pull. My guess was a 36” deflex/reflex design –Ipe and Rock maple in three tapered layers, which wound up to be about 50 lb. A steel bracket & buffered thumb screw hold the bow on a walnut stock. The mechanics of the hut & trigger are simple and ancient in design. The tension spring was made out of Osage. The bolts are 3/8” Ramin Wood with a two feather fletch. "

in this photo you can see the osage spring that he used.  I think you did a great job on it, Francis.   :)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline RyanY

Re: Frances Pennington's Crossbow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:19:53 pm »
Sure is a beauty. I'd love to see more of his work. What wood is the stock?

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:50:42 pm »
That's beautiful!  :)  Tell your friend kudos, nice job, and get over that computer learning curve quickly!  :D

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:25:14 am »
tell him it's awesome. perfect tiller and great stock work.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:50:11 am »
I will make sure that he knows you guys liked it!  Ryoon, the stock is made from Walnut.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline wildman

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:15 pm »
Very slick I would like to see a schematic on the workings. Very sharp
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:33:14 pm »
That is one, sweet, looking Crossbow. But, I have to ask, Is this really gonna be posted for Archery Bow of the Month?? The last time I checked, if you have to pull a trigger, it's not ARCHERY. ??? Will the next one have a scope on it?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:50:16 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:20:32 am »
I don't think it qualifies as a bow, but wow - what a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.
Gordon

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »
the bow portion counts as a laminate bow... it just happens to be attached to a stock.  thanks for the comments guys!  :):)