Author Topic: second attempt.  (Read 1215 times)

Offline ordcorpdw

second attempt.
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:23:57 am »
Got myself into primitive archery and man the added hobbies or interests started stacking up. Decided to try traditional points which led to wanting a knife. I am a knapping rookie! So my first attempt turned into a handful of rubble that I might be able to get some points out of. Did more reading and marked out where I wanted to strike and tried to get some platforms going. so far its looking better.

Offline ordcorpdw

Re: second attempt.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:35:26 am »
The whole rock was covered in cortex....

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:38:16 am »
Good start.  You really need to go to a knapp in.  A couple of hours instruction will move your knapping well along.  Bill

Offline ordcorpdw

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 01:43:52 am »
Bound to be one AZ.......somewhere. I'd definitely dig the chance to glean the knowledge first hand.

Offline ordcorpdw

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:27:27 am »
Dang if it didn't snap in half. Got to wonder if heat treating would help. Got it fairly narrowed and thinned out. Trying to make a knife blade. I super Glued the pieces together but It just won't be the same.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:18 pm »
Whelp you got the edge stiched very nicely. Sorry to hear it snapped on ya - more practice. Whatever kind of stone that is looks nice and tough. a little heat would do wonders.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.