Author Topic: How bendy is hickor?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
How bendy is hickor?
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:47:13 am »
Going to give another go at a different kind of bow than my long bows.  I've been trying to work on high reflex bows and aggressive recurves.  I'm going to tone it down a bit more with this one and take my tome on it.  Now that I got a long bow again it's not so much a big deal to step away and shoot some instead of knowing I'll only shoot when this bow is finished lol

Anyway, I'm wanting to do this recurve  Slight reflex with the bulk of the work being done mid-limb.  It's going to be a shorter bow so there's going to be a lot of bend there.  I want a 55~60" length bow, 30" draw, and 45~60lbs.

I have a pile of 1/8" hickory slats.  Grain isn't perfect on any of them, but it's not too bad on most.  Can it hold up to a really bendy bow?  I intend for bamboo to be on the back and belly of this bow.

Opinions?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How bendy is hickor?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:03:14 am »
Hickory can definately take the bend...more so than most other woods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:16:28 am »
If it's used for the core, will grain be so detrimental?  The stuff I have isn't terrible, but it got cut into slats because the board wasn't good enough for a bow itself.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:58:36 am »
I've used badly violated hickory backing strips and never had a back failure. As a core wood you shouldn't have any problems. Try to avoid knots though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:03:18 am »
I've only made one hickory bow so far and it had over 15 run outs...holds up just fine.

Hickory is some tough stuff

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:52:41 am »
  I have 2 friends that use to build full working recurves. They build some really nice ones (dozzens). T
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING