Author Topic: Board bow tiller check... hopefully  (Read 1238 times)

Offline jham

Board bow tiller check... hopefully
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:18:14 pm »
Ok so I have finally got this thing fairly close, I think. The picture of it drawn on the tree it is about 25", but it has been pulled to 28, but all i have is a stob to loop the pull rope on so hard to keep it at 28 for a pic. the only scale I have to wiegh it on is a 440 lb game scale, but it seems to be somewhere a little over 40 lbs at 27, which is where i remeasured my draw length at. here is a try at loading the pics, one on the tree, one braced and one right after unstringing, which shows a fair amount of set but not bad for a first try I dont think. Even if this doesnt make hunting weight, it will work to get me back into shooting traditional, and will be great for chasing marsh rabbits at high tide after deer season.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Board bow tiller check... hopefully
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »
Hard to tell, looks pretty good, but now I'll be really nit picking as it may help you see something subtle...
Right limb a tad stiff on the last (tip) third.
Left limb, the merest possible shaddow of a hinge where that dark branch in the background goes behind the limb (or maybe the branch causes an optical illusion?) Then there's a slightly stiff section to the 2/3 mark.
It's always very subjective.
Like I said, overall, looks pretty good.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:20:54 pm »
I see the same things happening that del pointed out.

Offline jham

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:28 pm »
I have spent a few hours shooting it, and I havent had that much fun shooting in a long time, blisters, bruised wrist and all lol. I have a few more questions regarding arrows and tuning. It is drawing somewhere between 40-45 lbs at full draw, and the grip is pretty close to 1 in wide. Eventually I hope to use it for deer hunting and hog hunting, so I need advice on arrow spine and tip weight. Looking in the 3 rivers catalog it looks like a lot of heads are heavier than what I am used to. Any advice on arrow spine and broadheads? let me mention that I need to stay fairly low budget. Eventually I am going to make my own but for time and convienence want to start with a known baseline. The arrows I have been using are some old bent aluminums, fine for just shooting for shooting sake but not for any kind of accuracy. I know that once I have arrows picked out I will need to fine tune the nock point, but where should I start at? I am shooting off my hand and no arrow pass cut. Sorry it got kind of long and I rambled some just new to bow tuning. Also, what do you suggest for a temporary nock? just get a brass one or ??? I have read about the paper nock point but cant tune that after it is glued