Author Topic: I wonder what this'll turn into?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline FlintWalker

I wonder what this'll turn into?
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:37:07 pm »
Found this in my garden this morning. Gonna keep it at the house so my little boy can keep an eye on it.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: I wonder what this'll turn into?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 02:45:35 pm »
That's a monarch chrysalis. Watch for it to turn black just before the butterfly emerges. We had a few as kids. One we could even take for walks around the neighborhood and it wouldn't fly away.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 02:55:59 pm »
Yup, that'll be a monarch.  Right before it hatches you'll actually be able to see the butterfly wings inside.  I used to catch a few caterpillars  every summer so the kids could watch them hatch.  Good memories.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »
Any idea how long it usually takes? 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:46:52 pm »
Just a few days, wait I looked it up.  10 days.  Go to http://www.monarch-butterfly.com/  They've got a video of one hatching.  Hope it's Ok to post that link?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:25:27 pm »
 No problem George, as long as they aren't selling Butterflys. Thank goodness it's not Zombies. :o
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 04:43:56 pm »
Do you have any milkweed plants near your garden?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »
I'd bet on it. ;D 

We used to have a terrarium I put the caterpillars and chrysalises I found into.  Usually they were monarchs.  But, one time on a church workday I found a huge moth cocoon on the outside of a window frame.  I carefully cut it off and then reglued it to a piece of wood in the terrarium.  The next year (long after we'd forgotten about it) it hatched into a beautiful cecropia moth (which has the largest wingspan of the American moths).  The girls took to to school for show and tell.  Then we let it go.

George
St Paul, TX