Author Topic: Compression fractures in bl  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Compression fractures in bl
« on: October 11, 2011, 06:55:46 pm »
Hey guys I just got done tillering a 70" 45#@27" Black Locust self bow. However during the tillering process It developed compression fractures in one limb. I had not heat treated the belly. My question is, is my bow doomed or is there anyone out there who has a bow still shooting with no signs of further deterioration?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Compression fractures in bl
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:33:31 pm »
Lee it all depends on the severity of the frets. In most cases though it 's not a good sign.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:43:40 pm »
Sorry to hear that. well something similar happened to me with BL. I was making an ELB that was supposed to be 60 @ 29. So one of the limbs started developing some chrysals. Since the bow was 74 I cut it down to 65 and made a cherokee long bow instead. I thought that since the cherokee style bow had a flat belly instead of rounded that would releive some of the stress, after all the chrysals were minute in the ELB. of course taking wood of got rid of them, but despite having a perfect tiller they came back in the same place. sucks, I think I will just make another bow and not an ELB since its more prone to chrysalling. I will however shoot that bow until it breaks, makybe ill learn something.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline druid

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:43:29 am »
2-3 years ago I made heavy black locust pyramidal bow (125# 29"). Last winter I overdraw it to 31", maybe and little further. It shows a lot of crysals on both limbs. Seems poundage is little less than it was but set is the same, bow still performing good. Anyway, crysals are not good sign, I agree.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:12:48 am »
Just my thoughts, but I think chyrsals are more of a result of this particular wood being less than well seasoned. BL bows I made where the wood was plenty dry enough fretted bad. Last one I made, where the wood was seasoned for a number of years, and lesser quality that the ones that fretted, shows no signs of chyrsals.

So I think this is true with about all types of wood. Dry may be fine for some wood, but IMO, there's no substitute for well seasoned wood........ Art

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:36:48 am »
I agree completely,but there are many here that don't. Some say dry is dry and how long it took or how it got dry makes no difference.To each there own but I like slow seasoned wood .Get out the popcorn  ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:39 am »
The chrysals run deeper than we think. I don't like to shoot chrysalled bows but they can last a bit depending on how bad they are as Pat said. If the chrysals are localized it is in a spot that is bending too much. If they are spread out over the limb it is a design issue...to narrow or too short. We do tend to blame the BL wood though LOL. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:24:58 am »
If localized I do have a "fix" but I have to go now. Later. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 12:38:15 pm »
All these reasons just makes me wanna try bl lesss and less...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 02:17:28 pm »
I know that I don't have all the knowledge but, I do think BL is a very good bow wood !
It is nice looking wood and makes an excellent bow !
Don't give up on it that easily !
Sure wish I was smart enough to get pics on here so I could show you !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:53 pm »
If we are honest, too many, we won't blame BL but ourselves for bad tillering. I've made lots of BL bows. May be had a  few chrysal. 2 out of 24-50 or more isn't bad.Understandable since it was my learning wood. I've made 7 ash bows. 5 chrysalled. I don't blame the ash. I blame me. The easiest chrysal fix I've done is to glue on some rawhide over them but only d that f they are localized. Use osage you say, LOL. Osage is not immune from chrysals particularly if one likes to use the pretty sapwood which is bandied about internet forums for osage and BL in particular. I've had an osage sucker chrysal. Heck of a bow though. I gave it away but it is still around. Popcorn anyone?:) Jawge
Set Happens!