Author Topic: Kentucky rock?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline JEB

Kentucky rock?
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:05:50 pm »
Is there any knapping rock in kentucky and if so what kind and in what area?  thanks

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Kentucky rock?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 05:25:34 pm »
JEB, the answer is yes.  There are several, not sure where, but I think some of it's called Kentucky Blue and folks seem to like it.  One thing I am sure of is that someone will be on here soon w/ the answers you're lookin' for.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:15:51 pm »
I will be surprised if you get a location,it is Kentucky Blue but should be called KENTUCKY GOLD. It is of high value. Search it in the Forum and you should get numerous hits on it. I do not know of an exact location, but I have found a more brown rock near Carter Caves, Kentucky. Most creeks will have some degree of usable rock. Keep in mind it most likely will not appear as shinny rock but a large white chalky ball of some shape. Good Luck and if you find some let me know. 8)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline DLH

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:08 pm »
Yes theres rock in ky hornstone and sonora are both blue I really like sonora but Im a mere beginner. Maybe Shannon or Jesse will chim in they know alot more.

Offline mjflinty

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:38:00 pm »
I like Sonora and so does every other knapper... so you probably won't be getting a map from anyone. NClonghunter said it best, get out and check the creeks. I'd recommend the geology map of the state; just find the limestone deposits and then road cuts. That works for me  :)

Good hunting,
Michael

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:05:05 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I was looking for the names of the rocks although a map would have been good, lol.  I sent a guy some arrowheads (metal) and he wants to repay me in rock but doesn't know what to send.  He lives in Perryville, KY.  I will contact him and give him the names you noted.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:13 am »
Yes, Sonora and KY blue are the two most common i think. But there is others. I'm thinking up around the north central part of the state.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.