Author Topic: Tree ID Field Guid?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Tree ID Field Guid?
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:27:55 pm »
Hello Everbody,

Looking for a GOOD Tree I.D. field guide.

I remember reading about one such guide mentioned here on P.A. but did not write the name down at the time, and now I've been unable to find it again through the search engine.
As I remember the book was said to do a excellent job leading you to a proper identification through a series of steps, leaf type, bark type, location...
And it also had color photos of leaves, bark and trees, I believe.

I have several books on the subject at the present but they all turned out to be difficult to get dialed in to a positive I.D.
And they have hand drawn or painted plates not photos...

Thank You.

-gus

"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Tree ID Field Guid?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:56:01 pm »
Based on their actions here in NC I will not recommend the audobon's book to anyone anymore.  I can't go into it anymore without getting political, so let me just say there are other good books out there.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:32:57 pm »
Martha Stewart puts out a good field tree id book >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »
The Peterson's Field Guide series is a good one but I like my Audubons. I have most of the Audubon series.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:38 pm »
Thank You Guys...

I guess I'll just send tree photos to Cipriano for ID since he already sprung for Marpha's Tree Book...   8)

DOH!   

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 11:35:21 pm »
I have the national wildlife federations field guide to trees of north america....I've compared this one side by side to audobons and this one is waaaay better in my opinion. You wont regret buying it.I know I don't. I bought mine at my local barnes n nobles.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:02:48 am »
I use the Audubon Society Field Guide of North America. It's an excellent book with color photos and growing regions along with good descriptions of leaves, fruit, and flowers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?