Author Topic: What do I make from this?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline gstoneberg

What do I make from this?
« on: November 21, 2011, 10:29:00 pm »
I grabbed a new spall to work tonight.  It started like this:

The initial thinning went very well and I got to a preform quickly.

Looks fine so far.  But a side view shows the problem...and if you look at the left-most (first) picture above you can see a big dip on the left side of the rock extending about 2/3 of the way across.

I'm stymied now with what to do.  Any ideas?  I should've looked closer before I started.  I don't know if I can make anything from it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: What do I make from this?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 04:12:33 am »
Are neolithic spear points all perfectly knapped? 

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:09 am »
That looks Georgetown'ish George :). I picked up a ton of that stuff and most of it has those fractures in it like that. If ya take it real easy it might not break but if it does i see a couple of nice triangles in there..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:21:45 pm »
Yep, it's got at least one serious fault line running through it.  Drop it a couple times and it will break apart where that crack is.  Then see if you can make a couple smaller points, like Paul said.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 01:34:37 am »
As always, you guys were right on the money.  It took just one drop to get this.

I saw 2 points in there too, but it didn't work out that way.  The narrow end of the rock knapped completely different on the 2 sides.  One side was wonderful, flakes peeled off like butter.  The other side stepped on virtually every hit.  I finally ran out of width and gave up.  Then, I went to the other half.  It went better, still very tough rock, especially at the base.  I got a point though and should have stopped...but I thought I could get the notches a little deeper...

Shux.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:05:29 am »
That looks awful familiar :o   Better luck next point  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 01:31:08 am »
Thanks Frank.  Sadly my last few points have not been picture worthy.  It got so bad I'm taking a weekend off to work on bows.  Maybe my fortunes will improve when I get back at it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »
I have periods like that with other stuff.  It's usualy a product of rushing, corner cutting (no pun intended), or just being in the wrong mind frame gets me out of the groove. 

Walk away from it for a bit is a good idea and take a step back, work on something easier and practice your technique.  Not that I'm a knapper, yet.  But in general that is what has helped me with other stuff, Carving, technical trading, bow making etc.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:05:00 pm »
Yes, you're probably right.  Today I had a friend over reloading .308 ammo.  When he got going I went over to the tarp and started on a point.  Finished it just after he left.  Did more pressure flaking on this one than normal, but you'd never know it by looking.  I still stink at running flakes out to the center with pressure.  I also lost the symmetry at the base.  As always, I had one beautifully thin deep notch and the other one stalled.  By the time I got it going again I had to open the good one up to match.  At least it's something I can put on an arrow at 130gr.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:15:27 am »
Thats a nice lookin point George!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei