Author Topic: A different splice?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
A different splice?
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:39:55 am »
I have two osage billets that are only 1 5/8" x 1 5/8 x 42". Is there another strong joint I could use besides a "z"? I have zero experience using anything but a "z". I thought about brass sleeves, but I dont believe I have enough stock to make them work. I am going to glue a handle section on so the back will be secured. 

Thanks!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

Re: A different splice?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 11:06:47 am »
  I haven't used a splice yet, but what about the splice that was used in the pick axe handle bow article in the latest PA mag?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:08:16 am »
Thats the one that got me thinking Ryan. It looks like it would work great with narrow billets.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:50:12 pm »
You have to narrow the handle area on spliced billets to almost finished handle size or chance loosing most of your splice shaping the handle later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »
 a simple 'V' splice always worked well for me.....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 01:22:10 pm »
I have replaced limbs using a Z splice on osage bows with a lot less wood to work with than you have. I use urac, top the splice off with a glued on handle and have never had one come apart.

Here is an example.

Start.

Cut.

Fit

Glued

Finished with added handle piece.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:38:41 pm »
Nice job Eric. I assumed my billets were too narrow for a "z". It woudl appear I was wrong! I am going to try it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »
If the wood is wide enough for a handle it's wide enough to splice v , z or w

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:29:46 pm »
I cut a "V" in and glued it up tonite. I have been taking pics since I split this nasty, ugly, skinny billet. Im hoping to do a somewhat quick build along. I have never done much pic posting so it may get as ugly as the bow Im trying to build :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »
A tapered finger joint like what I wrote about in a previous issue of PA magazine can be made quite short, so short in fact that the whole joint easily fits inside your hand.  All of the tapered finger joints I make are no more than 2" long yet have more glue surface than a 4" Z splice.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 03:33:02 pm »
Marc,
Are you talking about the same type splice Glenn St.Charles used in "Billets To Bow"? He divided the handle area of each billet down the center, then placed tick marks at the center of either end of those two divided sections. When you connect all the dots from corner to tick mark, back to corner, you end up with a "W" splice. You cut out of one, what you don't on the other. You can also introduce a little reflex into your stave at glue up!