Author Topic: cherry bark questions  (Read 1293 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
cherry bark questions
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:06:06 pm »
Hey guys! 
 I recently came into possesion, of some cherry logs, I doubt that they are long enough to make a self bow, but I took them for their bark. I know that they bark, like birch does. My question to you fellas is, how to is properly remove it, then back a bow with it. I have heard you'll need the bark off a rotten tree. This didnt sound right to me. So I came to the horses mouth.

I havent checked the "how to" section yet. I would imagine that would also be a good place for me to go.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline crooketarrow

Re: cherry bark questions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »
  I
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:07 pm »
  I peeled mine in the spring just because thats when I found it. flaten it out between 2 boards to dry. I've only did this twice. Put it on with elmers and second time TB 111 wraped with ace bandge. Worked and looked nice.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »
thanks a lot mate.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:02:56 pm »
Alls i can add is you have no chance when its seasoned. Atleast no chance of getting it off in strips less than 2mm wide lol.
If i harvest birch bark for contrainers i either do it green or wrotten so i guess cherry would be the same.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:52:55 pm »
Is it choke cherry or fire cherry you have? Regular black cherry bark won't work as a backing.
The correct cherry bark grows around the tree and not along the trunk like other bark does. The tree has to be big enough so you get pieces of bark long enough to back a bow with.  With choke cherry and fire cherry the bark stays sound even after a tree has rotted somewhat so you can harvest it from dead trees. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:18:31 pm »
PatB, chokecherry bark strength comes from strips cut from around the girth?  Man, I'm glad I read this thread!  I thought it ran the length and black cherry was from around the girth.  I misunderstood whoever it was that was extolling the virtues of chokecherry  bark to me.  You probably just saved me from alot of grief!  Thanx,  Josh