Author Topic: Fifth attempt  (Read 2583 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Fifth attempt
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 01:02:52 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Flat Sawn was better than quarter sawn for flexing ability and non-splintering..

This is now my fifth attempt at a red oak board bow.  The board in question is quarter sawn and has virtually no grain runouts.  I chose to go with a pyramid bow design because so many people have had great luck with this design. 

It is 66" from tip to tip, 1" wide handle 4 1/4 inches long, 1 3/4 long fadeouts, a full 2 inche wide limbs at the fadeouts, and a glued on walnut handle.  I have radiused the edges slightly and have glued on a rawhide backing before even starting to tiller. 

If this bow fails, it has to me and only me.  I can't believe so many people without a lick of experience can turn out shootable red oak board bows and I make poor grade kindling from them!   :-[  Oh the everlasting shame.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 01:24:20 am »
Being backed with rawhide I have no fear of lifting a splinter on the back of the bow.  The belly will fail long before that rawhide is close to feeling any strain.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:19 am »
Building a board bow is something i have always wanted to do,, but in the UK atleast near me its only pine boards we get.
I have this image in my head that a lot of the decisions have already been made for the bowyer when the board was ripped from the tree. That and a case of "you dont know where its been" makes it less appealing...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »
I chose to do a red oak board bow because I didn't have time to start a stave bow and finish it (I am slower than a glacier with bad knees when it comes to chasing the final growth ring).  I hit the local hardwood supplier and there wasn't anything in the hickory pile worth a second glance.  This red oak board was, pun intended, board straight and the grain was flawless.  Lastly, I'm an idiot. Four bad outings and I still think I can do it. 

What was that definition of mental illness?  Oh yeah!  Repeating an action thinking you will get a different result.  There is a very fine line between nuts and plain stupid, and everyone knows I buy the cheap crayons that don't stay within the lines.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.