Author Topic: Old Dry Dead Trees?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline bushman

Old Dry Dead Trees?
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:18:39 pm »
Has anyone ever tried to make arrows from old dead dry trees (standing or laying above ground), the ones that are all checked on the outside and gray, bone dry and not rotten yet? I have always been thinking that it would be easy to make abo arrows from them, would be easy to get pieces split off of them, they would be straight and already dry. Thanks.
Bushman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Dry Dead Trees?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 01:09:12 am »
The only way to tell if it is sound is to make a shaft and give it a good bend test.  What kind of wood is it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushman

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:49:51 am »
One I'm not sure on, ever Fir or spruce, hard to tell cuase its all gray and bleached/oxide on the out side, other one was a big o' Fir that was fire killed a long time ago, what wasn't charred is covered in a thin layer of pitch so it preserved it.
Bushman

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:36:21 am »
  Dead wood is just that dead. There's different degree of dead the longer it is dead. The mosre things attact it we can't see. Plus dead wood dosn't have memory or at least it's aready there and it's hard to change.
  Not like heating straighting ,tempering where after sealing the memory will stay ingrained.
 Sure you can make arrows from it. But to me it's not really worth the time and effort you put into makeing a shafe. To whee maybe it will be ok. Live shoots I know will be ok.
  But I have made arrows once from standing dead HAZZEL SHOOTS. That the whole stand  had died and never came back to life in the spring. They seamed to be ok. But I didn't have them long enough to tell. I shoot and miss alot.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 02:10:49 pm »
Yep, I've made arrows from that stuff.  Too much work.  Usually has bug holes exactly where you don't want them.  Get some shoots.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr