Author Topic: My Second Arrow  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Re: My Second Arrow
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:22 am »
I love these boo arrows but wish I could make em faster, I am going for a solid dozen, I can't seem to get enough of the right spine. I have 5 perfect and 2 that I need to fix up. They are my first batch and so far they are great beginner arrows, keep on posting
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Re: My Second Arrow
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:16 am »
Ya the spine is pot luck to some degree.  I found 6 for $1 at trader horn!  If you get one out of a batch it's worth it!  There is a site you can order 500 at once from for less than $100 I believe.  I'm learning to be picky in those I treat.  I shot my 2nd a bunch today with my aluminum and it held up great.  The sinew that was only put on with saliva frayed a bit but not much.  Super glue would help but is definitely not required if you want to stay natural.  A little hide glue would do the trick I'm sure. 
My 2nd arrow at 10 yards gets great penetration, maybe more than alumimum, but flops around too much.  I'm guessing the spine is too soft.  I was less consistent with it.  I have a harder one drying with feathers now and I'll see if it holds better.  I have 8 more without feathers that are ready to go.  Feathers take the longest of the entire process. 
I'll try to do a short video on the process soon when I iron it out a bit more.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln