Author Topic: anybody try spice bush or leather wood for arrows?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
anybody try spice bush or leather wood for arrows?
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:48:08 am »
Spent some time camping about 2 miles upstream from my house last week w/ my boys and some friends, snd found a bunch of spice bush and/or leather wood.  Many of them really straight and of perfect size.  Before I go up there cuttin the pristinity(?) away, I thought I'd your all's thoughts.  Stuffs in bloom now too, pretty sweet.  Oh, how about witch hazel for arrows?  It's in bloom too.  Thanks for any thoughts, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: anybody try spice bush or leather wood for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:30 am »
I have lots of spice bush here on my property but I have not used it for arrows. All I can say is give it a try. Cut 10 or so shoots. bundle them together and let them dry for a few months and see how they do.  Same with witch hazel.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:20:11 pm »
How did I know that you were going to say that Pat?  ??? ::) ::)

You've never given it a try, huh?  Welp, if I don't get any more replys, looks like that's what I'll do.  Thanks,  ;) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:02:54 pm »
  I've made a few witch hazzel arrows. I t seams soft to me. I hav'nt made any of spice bush but know there nice shoots from what I seen. And have heard of people useing it. If you want to invest the time in straighting just about all bush shoots will make and arrow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING