Author Topic: makin my first batch of dandelion wine this year!!!  (Read 2154 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

makin my first batch of dandelion wine this year!!!
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:38:08 am »
im excited to be makin me some dandelion wine i just got the first batch fermenting now. ill start on another batch this weekend!
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Rick Wallace

Re: makin my first batch of dandelion wine this year!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:01:32 pm »
Never had it,I make my own out of scuppernongs and muscidines,,Is the process the same?   cause I got me some dandylions,,all over the yard,,,,, ???
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »
Did your recipe have you picking the green calyx off the flowers first? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:48 am »
Did your recipe have you picking the green calyx off the flowers first? 

Yea i picked all the green off then poured boiling water on the yellow petals and i let that steep for about 3 days then i put some fresh lemon juice and fresh orange juice and i also put some blackberries in there but thats my personal preference and then about a teaspoon of ginger and 2 cups of sugar. I then bring it to a low boil for about 45 minutes and then i strain it to remove all the petals and blackberries. you have to let it set and cool down to a temperature around 70 to 95 degrees other wise you will kill the yeast. Once you have the correct temp. you put the yeast in and stir vigorously to give the yeast lots of oxygen. the very last step is to put an air lock on the carboy or jug if you dont have an actual air lock then you can use a ballon. When the ballon starts to fill with the CO2 poke a small hole with a neddle in the ballon to let the CO2 out. the whole purpose of an airlock is to keep oxygen from getting in and letting CO2 out. After everything is done put the dandelion wine in a cool dark room or space to ferment. Youll begin to notice a thick layer of sediment at the bottom which is normal and maybe some bubbles which is also normal. After about two weeks it will begin to clear and is suitable for drinking although the long you set it to ferment the better it tastes just like any other wine or liqour out there. It only gets better with age.

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:18:52 am »
I've made some pretty good wine from store grapes in the past wild blackberrys are my favorite for wine. I think when the peaches are ready this year I'll do some peach wine. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:33:55 pm »
I've made some pretty good wine from store grapes in the past wild blackberrys are my favorite for wine. I think when the peaches are ready this year I'll do some peach wine. Ron

I did a peach wine once that brought tears of joy to the drinker's eye.  I've been thinking of doing the same again but using some honey for flavor and fermentables....but then pitching a bit more right before bottling.  Peach champagne anyone?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »
JW I confess to adding sugar during the fermentation proces to up the alcohol level. You could pour the sugar in and watch the foam rise up. Ron

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:50:37 pm »
is the process for peach wine similar to dandelion wine?

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:05:09 pm »
I don't use yeast in my wine I peel the peaches remove the seed squeeze the juice out of the peaches put it in a jar lay the lid on it and it works the same as the baloon after that just let nature take it's course. Ron

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:40:49 am »
I was big into wine making for about eight years. I've made as much as 100+ gallons in a year of all different kinds of wines from the dry reds such as Merlot and Zinfindel, to many different fruit wines.

The process I always used was pretty much a scaled down version of how a winery would go about it. I've since given all my equipment away. I enjoyed making it and giving it away...think that's how I was allowed into the Twin Oaks membership!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...