Author Topic: using billets  (Read 5213 times)

Offline mitchman

using billets
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:10:14 pm »
when using a billet at what angle should you strike the edge. oh and what exactly does abrading do and where do you place the abrasions on top , where your billet will hit, or right on the edge. or am i  just wrong all together

deerstand

Re: using billets
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:18:59 pm »
abraiding removes week stone or glass that would crush instead of transfering the blow, you abraid the ridge base you want to remove. i would suggest a video or even youtube. there are some pretty instructive videos on there under flintknapping

Offline mitchman

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:14:16 pm »
iv downloaded and watched like 20 videos on youtube. they are pretty good

thanks

mitch

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:21:28 pm »
If you watch most of the ones on youtube by Flintknappingtips (Marty Rueter, one of the best knappers alive), you will see him doing a lot of platform preparation and abrading. A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a hundred thousand.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:11:57 pm »
You got theat right! I watched all of his videos but still dont know the difference between thinning flakes and blending flakes. Anyone know what they are?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 12:10:19 pm »
Thinning flakes are the major ones taken to thin the piece and remove lumps, bumps, and humps.  Blending flakes are shorter smoothing flakes to remove minor stuff, deltas from earlier series of flakes, or to build convexity/set up platforms.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 03:22:50 pm »
Got it! Marty seems like a nice guy too. Just wrote him and hes sending me on a bunch of his flint flakes so I can make them into arrowheads.

Now that I know about the different flakes I hope to be making really thin blades soon.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mitchman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 11:15:27 pm »
oh your getting free flakes and im not. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 04:29:26 am »
Hi,  I just got started with knapping and would feel bad about missing out on the free flakes, but a local knapper gave me some to get me jump started too.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers