Author Topic: Is there a formula for brace height?  (Read 7955 times)

Offline oic0

Is there a formula for brace height?
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:40:34 pm »
Is there a formula for how many inches shorter than my nock to nock the string needs to be to get X brace height? Have a decent tiller, ready to shoot, I'm running 3 less than nock to nock and only have about 1 inch :( That of course slaps the piss out of my hand and puts some wobble on the arrow. If 3 inches gets me an inch, do I need a string like 12 - 14 inches short to get a shootable brace height? or am I doing something wrong here.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Is there a formula for brace height?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:54:45 pm »
Normally a two to three inch shorter string will get you close to what you need but that can vary from bow to bow.  I choose on a selfbow to brace as low as possible and still clear my feathers.  For me that is at least 6" or more from the back of the grip.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:14:02 pm »
If it is a Flemish string then twist it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »
If its a flemish string twist it up until you get to 5 1/4" brace. Then shoot it 2-3 times, if your arrows fly like crap and is loud twist it 4-5 more times and repeat until your bow quiets down and your arrows fly good. Arm slap can be from a bunch of things, not just brace height. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:02:56 pm »
  3" should be enough, you may have the wrong string material or not enough strands of string. I never go more than 4" on a long bow.

Offline oic0

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:33:08 pm »
I didnt think this 500+lb cord would stretch so much with so little weight on it. It was stretching over an inch. I need some better string.

I got it to this much brace height with yalls suggestion of 2 or 3 inches. The fletchings are still hitting while its on the string, is that ok?. Maybe I need to lean more towards the 3" and less towards the two. The string is catfish line from the baitshop. Twisted nylon with tar on it or some such. Should I twist that on down / shorten it or look in to getting a real string? or run with what I have? The arrows have a bit of wobble to em in flight. Like the tail end gets kicked up as it leaves the bow.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:42:45 pm by oic0 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »
You need a real string.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »
Most bowstrings are made from dacron B 50. That is what  recommend so you need to order one from a sponsor that is  inches shorter than the nock to nock distance of your bow or you need to make one. I don't know where there is a sponsor list.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »
I agree......get some bowsring material.......can't skimp on that.  If you do you may damage your bow or injure yourself.  Get some B-50 or B-55 material.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline doggonemess

• That's My Web Guy
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 11:01:04 pm »
Until I got B-50 from Amazon, I tried lots of different materials for string, and found that the absolute worst was cotton, followed by hemp. My favorite material was 'kite string', but it stretched like crazy. I found that upholstery thread works great - it's very string and incredibly thin, and easy to find. Any fabric / sewing store will have it. It does tear up your fingers, though.

In the end, I'm so happy that I got B-50. It even came pre-waxed.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 12:21:57 am »
One of the old 1940's-50's bow making articles in Popular Mechanics described the use of upholstery thread for the string, but dacron is what I learned on and still use some along with fast flight. To me, the bow design has a lot to do with the best brace height. I had a friend that had a recurve that came with a recommended brace height of 7 1/2 inches which seemed like a lot, but worked well for that design. If I am not sure, I start with a fistmele and the adjust from  there depending on arrow flight, etc. Higher brace heights generally are a little more forgiving, for me at least, but you give up some cast and arrow speed. Arrow spine and feather length are also considerations. IMHO
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 01:13:50 am »
oic0

If you send me your addy and the length of string you need I'll twist you up a b-50 with one loop and you can learn how to tie a bowyers knot (also called a timber hitch) on the other end
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline carpentertimw

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 12:10:20 pm »
Your main problem with that string is that nylon stretches a ridiculous amount. You should get some B-50 or Fast Flight instead.

Offline johnston

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 12:22:13 pm »
I will no doubt catch some flack for saying this but...My once surgeon level hands are only
a shadow of their former glory and it is tough for me to twist up strings and it hurts like
hell. I asked halfeye about this cause he has hand trouble also. His advice was artificial
sinew (available from 3Rivers).
Twist with a drill, double overhand loop on the top and bowyers knot on the bottom.Works
like a charm and if it is good enough for Rich........

Lane

Offline oic0

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:28 pm »
Picked up a dacron flemish string this morning. 3 inches shorter than nock to nock (56.5"). Soon as it comes in I'm going to shoot the heck out of it till I stop sucking at archery :D

oic0

If you send me your addy and the length of string you need I'll twist you up a b-50 with one loop and you can learn how to tie a bowyers knot (also called a timber hitch) on the other end

Thats what I get for not paying attention to my thread!. The one I bought was only $8 though and I would have felt bad giving you only that much for postage and the trouble of mailing it. Thank you for the offer though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:52:14 pm by oic0 »