Author Topic: Hickory/purpleheart  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Hickory/purpleheart
« on: August 30, 2007, 08:23:24 pm »
I just glued up a hickory/purpleheart flatbow. I've never tried purpleheart before, and only heard of it used as a mid-lam, but I thought I'd give it a go anyway.
It's incredibly heavy though, so there's nothing wrong with it's density, hehe, but I fear it's not too elastic.
Any experiences or predictions?

I'll post some more pictures tomorrow night when I'll start bending it.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:26:32 pm by kviljo »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Hickory/purpleheart
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:49:48 pm »
I think you will be fine.  I have backed purple heart with bamboo, I don't see a huge difference.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:58:44 pm »
I have a piece of purple heart that would be perfect for a hickory backed flat bow. Looking forward to your progress.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 03:18:34 am »

i heard it frets easy, but i also know bows have been made from purple heart succesfully.
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:08:30 am »
Don't know but it should be pretty if it works,I know purple heart handles sure do.
Good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:47:45 am »
..Only tried it once, and it chrysalled/fretted like there was no tomorrow.  Some of that was my fault, but I'd only bother using it as an enclosed lam, or for "pretty bits" in future.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 12:05:01 pm »

i have really even vertical grain hard maple and i'm thinking about using that on purpleheart; maybe that works - and that sure will look good!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:48:09 pm »
Sorry to say, it did fret like mad :-[

It's about 1 1/2" wide, tapering to 1/2" nocks, 72" long, and I glued in 3/4" reflex. I took it real slow and got a nice even tiller early on, but at about 6" braceheight the belly started to collapse, with many more frets joining in as I got to 27" draw with a long string as in the last photo. The worst fret nearly got to the hickory, but it didn't follow the string as much as I would have expected with all those frets. No more than an inch or so, though I bet it will gain some more if I dare to draw it to 28" with a short string.
It's so heavy I'm sure it will sink in water, so I was quite surpriced that it didn't do better.

I've glued on some horn nock overlays, and hope to finish it tomorrow. Looking very much forward to getting it sanded well and putting on some coats of danish oil.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:51:19 pm by kviljo »

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 03:19:21 am »
KV, that purple heart does fret like crazy, one of the worst. I think with a maple backing it might work but i havent tried it yet. Steve

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 04:10:30 am »

yesterday i checked on that piece of purpleheart i once glued a handle on and never continued working on it; i decided to give it a maple backing (maybe today) and we'll see whether that's working any better...
i'll also aim for no mor then 40-45 pounds.
frank

ps: i had good success with all my black walnut bows by making the hickory-backing VERY thin, maybe that's the key...
Frank from Germany...

Offline gpw

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 08:40:04 am »
Your hickory backing was waaaaay too thick for purpleheart ... 1/16" -1/8" would have been much more "stretchy" and less likely to fret the P/heart... We tried thick bamboo on P/heart which was a similar disaster...Best purpleheart bow so far had thin strips of bamboo <1/16" X1/2"W glued in parallel strips along the length of the back(from a cheap floormat) ...and it was a long 70"D bow...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:41:35 am by gpw »