Author Topic: Tillering Tree Measuring Point-Mine's Done Now  (Read 3607 times)

Offline gudspelr

Tillering Tree Measuring Point-Mine's Done Now
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:39:18 pm »
I'm going to try and get a tillering tree built in the next day or two and had a quick question for you smart folks.  Can you correct me if I'm wrong here-draw length is measured from the back of the bow, not the belly, correct?

If this is the case, is the tillering tree made to compensate for the thickness of the handle section?  This makes me wonder since it seems most don't finish shaping the handle until the tillering is done.  Do you experienced guys always have the same finished depth (back to belly) in the handle area so it's consistent when tillering?  I would imagine otherwise, when the handle is thinned and shaped, the poundage will change along with potentially having overdrawn the bow during tillering?

I hope that all makes sense and thanks for your help.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:42:45 am by gudspelr »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Tillering Tree Measuring Point
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
 I lay down a strip of duct tape for each bow and remark. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:41:05 pm »
And......the voice of experience speaks...  I feel a bit like an idiot but glad I asked because that's got to be one of the best "simple" solutions I could have imagined.  Thanks, George.

Jeremy

Offline aclewis3

• Houston, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:01:18 am »
I have a yard stick fastened with rubber bands that I adjust to each bow's back.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:14 am »
I measure from the belly becuase it is convenient. I just take into account how thick my handle is when I am deciding how far down the tree to draw the bow, and I add that in for the final draw length figure. I figure none of this is an exact science anyway.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:59:31 am »
I do the same as Slackbunny,really not that critical to me,close enough for who it is for ,as they say.  ;) ;D Most of my handles are close anyway and if not I just take that in to account. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:25:05 am »
  If your bow were being tested in a standard bow test it would be measured from the deepest part of the grip. For instance if you wanted your bow set at 28" you would neasure 26 1/4" from the deepest part of the grip. Most of us self bowyers measure from the back of the bow.

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »
Jawge, that was profound!  I am always pleased when another elegant use for duct tape is mentioned....I will be using this method from now on fo sho!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:36:01 pm by mississippidave »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »
I have a thin lath of wood with inches marked on it, two long slots allow it to be screwed to the wall and adjusted up and down for different size/styles of bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:47:30 pm »
A home run hit in the park or outside the park is still a home run
close enough for me !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 07:42:23 am »
Thanks to some great ideas from all of you, I managed to put together a tillering tree.  I wanted it adjustable, so figured I'd get a cheap wooden yard stick and scrounged up some other scrap wood.  I used a router on the edge of the 2x4 and originally planned to put some velcro on the back of the yard stick and the other half in the recess from the router so it was adjustable.  Problem was, I didn't end up making it deep enough (didn't have the yard stick picked up yet...).  Best part turned out to be that I don't need the velcro-there's just enough space to hold the yard stick nice and snug so I can slide it up and down.  Saw some other guys had a few holes here and there to stick a peg in if they wanted to, so I drilled some in the off chance I might use them.  Thanks again for helping out us newbies :).

Jeremy

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Tillering Tree Measuring Point-Mine's Done Now
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 09:26:14 am »
Nice job. Great idea about the yardstick. Beats measuring and writing the numbers with a sharpie!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tillering Tree Measuring Point-Mine's Done Now
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:36:19 am »
Your setup, looks  great. I have one criticism tho'
I'd round off the support for the bow, that flat block will stop it moving naturally with the force of the draw.
I take care to support the bow where it will be supported by the hand, but leave it free to rock from side to side. Also try to draw the string from the right point.
Maybe it's just my foible. This pic shows what I mean (the bow is a miniature), also show the adjustable rule.

Del
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:40:05 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.