Author Topic: Locust Question Not Black and not honey ???  (Read 9786 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Locust Question Not Black and not honey ???
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 01:23:19 am »
I have read that the some Indian tribes, aside from Osage, valued Black Locust as well. It looks like its naturally camoflaged and stained. As I understand it is worked like Osage in following the single ring on the back. Very cool looking wood and that particlular log looks like it has nice growth rings.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline richpierce

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 02:13:50 pm »
Rich

Thats why the locust grow taller and straighter at out camp,, the mountains are high and the valleys are deep so the trees tend to grow straighter , plust the growing season is shorter.

wvflintknapper
Sounds wonderful, God's country.  Course, it's all God's country!
I have been very impressed with my first 2 locust bows.  Both came out lighter than I intended because I am new at bow building and learning how to tiller a flat bellied bow.  But the one for me is 48# at 29" and is a pretty quick shooting bow.  I found that even if the log looks straight, the grain can have a mind of its own, but can be worked well with heat.  I have one half log left that I am trying to decide how to work.  It has a branch about 3/4" in diameter right in the middle of where one limb would be, but the rest of the stave is great.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 05:42:33 pm »
Posted on: December 27, 2007, 10:34:07 PMPosted by: Sidewinder 
Insert Quote
I have read that the some Indian tribes, aside from Osage, valued Black Locust as well

Cherokee longbows were mostly d tillered black locust.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 06:19:45 pm »
I thought I had read that somewhere but didn't want to  get specific on the tribe in case I was wrong. Thanks for the info Carpenter. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

wvfknapper

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 08:11:24 pm »
Rich

Thats been my statement since we bought the property 15 years ago,, The mountains are very tall over 3000 ft (High for wv) Trout stream in the back yard,, 25000 acres of National forest within walking distance.

Dont get any better

wvflintknapper