Author Topic: Could I possibly salvage this board?  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Bitterguy

Could I possibly salvage this board?
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:45:32 pm »
So I origanly bought this board in order to make a flat long bow, but I found out after the fact that it had to many run-offs, especially around the tips, so after some time not making anything I found about the Molledgabet style of bow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjiPXuuKFa4&feature=plcp)and how the end tips don't do any works and are very thin. So i was wondering with that style and some drywall tape for backing if I could salvage this piece and make a bow out of it.
Working end of "Limb 1"

Working end of "Limb 2"

Side 1

Side 2

End 1

End 2

Hope I was clear enough, thank you.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
If you're not getting better, you're getting worse.

blackhawk

Re: Could I possibly salvage this board?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:54:34 pm »
If thats only 1 1/2" wide then thats not enough width in my opinion for 14" of working limb in a red oak board,,,,,can you make your working limbs a little longer than that without getting runoffs? And use silk,linen,rawhide,natural materials,etc...and not that ghastly drywall tape crap to back it if you feel it needs backed

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »
If thats only 1 1/2" wide then thats not enough width in my opinion for 14" of working limb in a red oak board,,,,,can you make your working limbs a little longer than that without getting runoffs? And use silk,linen,rawhide,natural materials,etc...and not that ghastly drywall tape crap to back it if you feel it needs backed

Well i couldn't push the limbs back anymore so I went ahead and started cutting away with my jig saw to get the basic for, I got one of the limb thinned out in the working part. And not trying to be offensive but what is the problem with drywall tape?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:37:21 am »
14" working length per limb is too short. Most Mollegabet bows are about 68" in length or so, minus the handle which equals 60 inches limb length. The limbs are about 3/5 to 2/3 of their length working length. That means 18" to 20" of working limb length. Furthermore, the width of your board is too limited to allow for a Mollegabet. Because this design has very short bending limbs, the limbs are wider than usual to compensate. And third, a Mollegabet is the numer one design that stresses wood to its maximum. It is crucial to not use lesser quality wood for these bows. So a Mollegabet is a bad choice for dodgy grained boards.

I can only see small portions of the boards. I can't quite visualize what the grain in the entire board looks like. But you may be able to get a good shooter with a backing. From what I can see, it doesn't look too bad. But if you are a beginner, a Mollegabnet design is really not a smart design to start with. It requires far more skill to succesfully create one. A normal flatbow, pyramid or longbow is much easier and safer design.

The 'problem' with drywall tape is the fact that it's f!b€rgl@$$. We just hate that stuff on this forum ;) It's artificial and not too user-friendly. There's better and easier alternatives, but drywall tape does work good and is readily available.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »
Well say that I had already started cutting out that design and had reached the point where i couldn't go back... should I just tough it out and learn from it or is it just guaranteed to explode in my face
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:15 pm »
If thats the case then i would continue on,but adjust your intended weight and draw length to 20-30 pounds at 24" and still learn from this,and learn how to tiller better....then give it away to a youngster or a smaller petite lady(or maybe a young lady you admire..hint hint)..lol ;D

Offline Bitterguy

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:00:58 pm »
its 65" ttt and I don't think the lady I admire is very interested in archery nor has the time for it (She's gonna be starting her first year of college next school year along w/ dance and all that girly stuff) so I'm probably just going to save it until my younger brother is old enough to be able to handle it. At 20-30# should I still back it?
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.
Repetition is key.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 06:05:53 pm »
Without seeing a better pic of it id say it wouldnt be a bad idea to back it....it never hurts to do so if you think for a little that it might need it.....it puts your mind more at peace

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 06:22:39 pm »
I will bet most of the bows in my collection that your board will chrysal unless you make the working limbs longer, wider and keep draw length short such as black hawk suggested.. Red oak is just not strong enough in compression for this design..

Jon

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:35:11 pm »
Ditto on the "no" to drywall tape.  So many other backing materials to use.  Buy a rawhide chew toy.  Soak it, stretch it, glue it, trim it and you have a backing to brag about.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.