Author Topic: The carp are in!  (Read 6157 times)

Offline DQ

The carp are in!
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:30:14 pm »
Went carp shooting on Saginaw Bay today.  They were really rolling.  I skinned a few for trading material this weekend at Marshall.  Used my old trusty elm carp bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: The carp are in!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:44 pm »
That's some mighty good shooting Dairy Queen!  Man, I love them sexy boots you are wearing!   >:D

I'm envious, having never shot a carp in my life, except with a 12 gauge once. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:33:21 pm »
That's what I'm talkin' about!! ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
WELLLLL now I'm all green with envy. Are those things any good to eat if they war that's a survivalists dream.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:09 pm »
Are those things any good to eat if they war that's a survivalists dream.

If handled properly and prepared correctly, they are very good. In fact, it is one of my favorite fish to eat.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »
   Nice Job!!!!   Hey  bevan can you exlain??  JeffW

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 06:31:27 pm »
   Nice Job!!!!   Hey  bevan can you exlain??  JeffW
Sure.
We skin then fillet the meat off the main skeleton. Then soak in a mild salt water for about 24 hours. Change the water 3 or 4 times. This will leach all the blood from the meat.
Then it depends on how we want to use it. I have cut it up in chunks and canned it. (90 min @ 15lbs) and then use it like canned salmon. (I have had people that did not know they were eating wild carp tell me it was the best salmon patties they had ever eaten). I have also smoked the fillets then put them in the pressure cooker on a shelf above the water and pressured them for 30 min @ 15 lbs. The pressure is what takes care of the little bones.
As an aside note, many people do not know that carp were introduced into this country as a food fish.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37:16 pm »
Darryl my buddies shot #2500 worth in two days and finished, I believe, 5th out of several hundred teams. It was last weekend on the bay. I think the winners were pushing 8-10,000#'s.

You still aint selling me Mr Richards! They will make tomatoe plants go bonkers, same with rose bushes. Maybe we never learned to eat them here because we have perch, walleye, whitefish, salmon, trout and panfish galore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DQ

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 08:38:11 pm »
There are pods of carp (a big female followed by several males) rolling in the shallows all day long.  I understand that the annual tournament removed about 180,000 pounds of unwanted, rough fish from the bay this year.  I actually placed fourth in that tournament ...back in the day.  LOL

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 04:35:03 am »
Good shooting!
Here in England if you did that you would be strung up!! People go mad fishing for them and even give the big ones names......I understand the situation you have though. The were also introduced here for food by monks a long time ago.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 08:41:22 am »
Its hard to believe until you see it Mike. The numbers are astonishing. They will spawn and multiply in a mud puddle, and do.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 09:23:50 am »
Great shooting DQ!Brings back fond memories here. My grandpa was like Bevan and would clean/smoke/fry carp in the spring when water was colder. Spent many weekends night and day shooting carp, gar, and buffalo in competitions. Looks like a great duck hunting area as well

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 09:39:06 am »
   Thats SWETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 07:00:46 pm »
Our local waters usualy get a nice spring flood.  then we get tons of carp.  They are awesome to eat.  I smoke them if they are common or our favorite buffalo carp.

Honestly the common are only good early in the season or in a clear water spring type place.  Localy they are full of red meat which will have any impurities in concentration.  I plant them under tomatoes and squash (talk about bonkers).

Buffalo is a different story.  I smoke them after brining them in salt water and brown sugar with herbs solution over night.  AMAZING!  Asian carp are almost like cod in texture only a bit more steaky.  We love it grilled.  Silver carp smoked are like mild mackeral.  They are high in the oils that make mackeral so healthy but are a fresh water fish.  Not only are they good eating but they are good for you.

There is a guy that put togeather a video serries on cooking buffalo carp.  He grinds the fillet and makes a ball which he fries.  It can be pickeled also. 

The LA DNR did a video serries on boning out and cooking the asian carps.  I don't do all that.  I just grill the fillet bone in and then flake the meat and the bones come right out.