Author Topic: ipe  (Read 1443 times)

Offline darwin

ipe
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »
i have been wanting to make a ipe bow (rawhide backed probably) and i have two boards with decent-ish grain the thought was to go with a bend in the handle with some reflex and flipped tips

so i got out a scrap piece to see how it would take to steam (45 min it was less than 1/4  in thick)... it was unpleasant to say the least, it gave off a nasty smell (probably toxic, steam was also discolored) discolored the wood, brought nasty oily bubbles to the surface of the wood which when dry solidified to make nasty bumps all over it, and after all that it only held maybe a 1/2 of the curve i put into it

for some reason i keep getting drawn back to ipe even before i started building bows i have been fascinated with this stuff i know there are plenty of easier woods but id really like to make this work

anyone have experience with bending this stuff? or recommendations on another design

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: ipe
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:09:24 pm »
It is reported to be very difficult - if not impossible - to steam or heat bend. For recurves, it would be best to laminate two thin slats together, OR to kerf bend a thicker slat. Kerf bending involves a technique where the end of the blank is cut in half partially, to effectively create two thin slats which can be glued back together in a form.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:26 pm »
Bending IPE is pain in the A##.

But Justin Snyder did it using kerf cuts.  Sweet bow too check it out.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,7923.0.html

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline darwin

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »
im going to look into the kerf cut thanks guys

if any one else knows of similar bows in the past or other ideas please let me know?

also if you were going to cut a kerf for the tips with just hand tools how would you do it, keeping in mind that ipe is very hard and the cut would have to be very straight?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:22:10 pm by darwin »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »
Try to pm Scott. His username is prairiebowyer, I think. He has done some kerf cuts that turned out pretty well from what I have seen.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline darwin

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:17:16 pm »
ok thank you

Offline markinengland

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:47:43 pm »
Ipe is great for what it does well which is narrow straight deceptively powerful bows.

If you got any real concentrated bend out of Ipe you're doing well!