Author Topic: auction bow  (Read 2037 times)

Offline chessieboy

auction bow
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:55:30 am »
I hope I'm doing this correctly.  I made this bow to be auctioned at the 2012 Bald Eagle Knap-in.  We all had a great weekend.  There will be more pics in the flint knapping area.  One of the other bowyers was kind enough to hold the bow while I took the pics.

blackhawk

Re: auction bow
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:13:55 am »
Ill be the first to say it....and not to be a jerk,but that bow is hinged big time in the upper fade,and the rest of the limb is flat stiff.....and the bottom limb is only bending in the inner third and stiff from mid limb out to the tips.

Whats the stats on the bow? And do you still have it? It needs fixed...osage can take a lot of tillering error,but thats pushing it in my humble opinion. Everything else about it was looking good tho,but tiller is the most important.

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:22:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I can see where the upper limb looks hinged. It looked good in person and on the filleting tree. The gentleman who bought the now has my cintact info and I told him to call if he had any issues.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »
A tillering tree can and most often does give a different tiller to when a bow is hand drawn.
I'd have to agree with BH it does need fixing.
In the picture where it's being held strung you can see it's thin out of the upper fade - obviously I might be wrong because i've only got the photo to look at but it looks that way.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:31:20 pm »
Staves with deflex right off the handle on only one side are VERY hard to tiller.  Good tiller looks an awful lot like a hinge, and I honestly hesitate to say from your pictures.  One of the photoshop guru's needs to superimpose the 3 views on top of each other to see how equal the bend is.  Thankfully it is osage, so if it doesn't take set there I'd guess it'll be OK.  When I see wood like that I either run, or I go bendy handled and heat the limb straight in that area.  You bit off more than I would have there.  I like to see a bowyer take on a challenge. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 06:08:24 pm »
Ditto George. I seen perfectly tillered character bows, especially with natural deflex right off the fades that looked really hingey.

The fact that the bow doesn't have crazy string follow suggests to me that it might not have a bad hinge.  Inner limb set generally causes way more string follow than outer limb set.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
Im in partial agreeance with Gabe and George. However, wouldnt the unbraced phto tell the same story as the full draw photo? I dont see a highly deflexed section in that same spot when the bow is unbraced, only at full draw. I believe the bow is hinged as well as playing the deflexed eye trickery game.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 08:42:38 am »
I really don't like to talk about anyones bow unless I am ask and since I wasn't,nice of you to make a bow for the auction ,and if the person  that bought it is happy so am I. :) Beautiful piece of Character wood. Love the snake and curves. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good