Author Topic: African Bows? (info needed)  (Read 2365 times)

Offline okiecountryboy

African Bows? (info needed)
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:36 pm »
Hey Y'all
Does anyone have pics of African bows. My research has come up very limited.
Any help would be appreciated.  From what I can tell they were rounded, not very long, and quite basic.

Thanks

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Holten101

Re: African Bows? (info needed)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »
I have had two from tanzania...both round in section, bend in handle, D-tiller, long bows. Wood was springy, and dense...could be some sort of acasia. Nocks were wrapped with plant fibers, round  and slightly bend forward. Both were bought as kids bows but they were far to heavy for me at the time. String was rawhide.

Cheers

The arrows...well...thats another story;-)

Offline SA

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:54 pm »
here is one  a friend gave me it belonged to a chief from the congo a friend of his got it for me on a mission trip, it is only about 3/4 to 1'' in diam and not very long 43'' tip to tip when strung. i am not sure of the wood type but it looks like just a small sapling tapered on both ends for nocks and VERY little if any tillering at all done . hope this helps i have been meaning to make one myself just have'nt got around to it, they seem pretty simple.
Shawn Acker

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »
hey Ron,
    just sent ya a direct link to 203 African bows, at the Peabody Museum.....so bon apetite,eh? ::)
rich

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:09:48 am »
Thanks All.
Appreciate the link Rich.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:33:35 pm »
I hunted South Africa in May this year and these bows were on the wall of the PH's place.

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)