Author Topic: heat treating?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline boughnut

heat treating?
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:52:38 pm »
I have alot of flint that needs some heat treatment.  I have no special oven will a fire work with lots of hot coals or my regular oven?  What is the best way to do this with out some type of potery kiln?

Offline Tower

Re: heat treating?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 02:35:57 pm »
It can be done with a fire, but it is very tricky. If it is not done properly you will burst a lot of stone making it useless. An oven will work, but you are heating a lot of extra space. The easiest, & most affordable way I know is with an electric Turkey roaster. Since moving into town that's the method I use. I prefer a fire pit, but its just not doable. The roaster is quick,simple ,& works great. The only downfall I know of is they only go to 450 to 500 degrees.  Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 05:21:01 pm »
here is how I do it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »
here is how I do it

WOW!  That coral is almost too pretty to be busted into gravel! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:52:35 am »
Yes Sir! That's why when you find an artifact down here made from it, (preferdly a Newnan, or Hillsborough) they are worth a few thousand dollars a piece.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline boughnut

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 01:30:31 am »
Looks like a great Idea I have an old broke down grill I am going to turn into something similar to what you have there.  I tried heat treating in my oven once and when I got to chipping at the stone it was all cracked up and fell into pieces.  Hopefully I can get it right this time.  I have made many obsidian points and some flint from slabs and a few from spalls so this will be a first should I spall the stones out first then heat or leave them hole I have also seen on youtube where guys soak them in water till they are ready to start flaking is this also a good practice to use?  Thanks for the info guys and those are some beautiful stones.  and if it makes a difference in answering my questions I will be heating flint.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 12:47:34 pm »
I use a slow cooker with the insert taken out.  It's used just like the turkey roaster, but doesn't get as hot.  Still works though.