Author Topic: rose shoot arrows question  (Read 1542 times)

Offline sound maker

rose shoot arrows question
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:55:34 pm »
Can I thin the bark on them i.e. scrape them a bit then sand them smooth and finish with some tru oil?? or do I have to fully debark them?
They will mostly be used for target shooting.
I am not the best but learn from the wise and you'll end up being called he best!
 What one person calls common sense another calls wisdom.

Offline hammerstone

Re: rose shoot arrows question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:44:29 am »
give it a try , it may be the way to go.I Completely debarked several dozen a few years ago and every one came out way under spined but they made great kids arrows.Thinking bout trying them again this winter, but i'll definitely go for larger diameter as they shrink up a lot.let us know how they work. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:21:44 pm »
I have made them w/ the bark on.  The problem I found is if you heat straighten them, the bark will peel a bit.  I straighten, sand them again to get the loose bark off.  hope that helps. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:27:56 am »
  WILD ROSE needs to season longer than other shoot I season with the bark on. You do need to get them a tad bigger the are light and light of spine. I let them season at least a year before debaking. I straighten the best I can bundle tight with duck tape or lots of stong rubbler bands. If you do'nt bundle tight they will warp.
  I have sanded and made them like the are with the bark on and made shfts like that. The turned out OK. You get higher spine like that. But I think they make a better shaft debarked. I don't use any heat on rose. If you watch what you cut no need to. Heating it leaves a solf shot where it's been heated.

I was told if you heat while green and let season it will be ok when they do season. I never did it like that. Like I said watch what you cut with rose you don't need any heat.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING