Author Topic: 3-blade broadhead covers  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
3-blade broadhead covers
« on: September 09, 2012, 03:54:35 pm »
Here's a few pics of some leather covers I made for 3 blade broadheads (not primitive, I know, but I haven't taken up knapping yet  ;)).  The idea is that I can keep a few hunting arrows in my plains quiver without ripping it to shreds.  They could also be used to attach a hunting arrow to a bow (with lace) for easy access, or to any other quiver (like a Jack Bower "solo stalker").

The first one I made was from heavy 10 oz latigo leather, but I thought it turned out a bit bulky for my liking, so the next couple were made from some lighter veg-tanned leather.

I just thought I'd share pics for inspiration in case anyone else has a need for these.

Offline robby

Re: 3-blade broadhead covers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »
Very nice work!!!
Robby

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13:15 pm »
Really  Cool!!!!!!!!!  how  do  you  get the leather to curve???   thanks   JeffW

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:02:59 pm »
Thanks guys.  Jeff, that's just how it came together after it was stitched up. It took a bit of coaxing, but as long as you don't use really heavy leather, you shouldn't have a problem bringing it together when stitching.

Here's another picture of the pattern pieces I cut.  I just traced around the outline of a broadhead, then added 1/4 in around that for stitching.  I cut 1/4 strips of leather for a welt so that the blades won't cut the stitching (you can see the welt in the picture above).  For each cover you need two pieces like the top one below, and then one with the tab so that it can be secured with lace.

Offline BryanR

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:31:25 am »
Great idea.  Great pictures too.  Thanks for posting.

Offline SA

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:28:01 pm »
thats pretty creative,nice work!
Shawn Acker

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:59:06 am »
Cool work Cam
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.