Author Topic: rawhide cord backing  (Read 1081 times)

Offline TexPat

rawhide cord backing
« on: December 12, 2022, 11:26:08 am »
Long time reader, first time poster here.

I am fairly new to bow building and am exploring some backing options. I am really interested in cord backing. I know the TBB guys have some anecdotes about backing with silk cord or nylon as a way to shift the neutral plane and take some tension off the back. I was thinking about using some rawhide lacing (1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 inch wide) to loop between the nocks. In theory, it seems like it would dry into some recurve, which could get rid of the need for the winding of the cordage. The only thing I am thinking could be an issue would be the the stretch or recovery properties of rawhide in that configuration. I know people use rawhide with glue in a single layer.

If anybody has any experience with cord backing or rawhide cord backing in particular, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: rawhide cord backing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 08:03:12 pm »
it doesnt sound like a good idea to me,,but have never tried it,, the best way to find out is try it, shoot it through a chronograph and see how it performs,,

Offline Aksel

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 04:45:46 am »
TexPat: I think it sounds like a very interesting idea to try. Donīt let opinions of others make up your mind.

Iīll be very interested to see what you find out. Thatīs the whole charm of bow making - to try for yourself and find out and share it with the rest of us. Donīt worry about a chronograph. Once you have made enough bows you will be able to tell if itīs a good idea or not. Also, you never know what ideas you stumble upon along the way.

Iīve been thinking about cable backings myself recently. Might give it a go.

Do it and let us know how itīs going!

Stoneagebows

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 01:52:38 pm »
yes without a chronograph,, you could make a bow much slower than a self bow,, and not even know,, I guess the upside to that would be,, you wouldnt be discouraged,,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 10:04:08 pm »
Now, is that actual RAWHIDE, or is it leather lacing? I have no idea how or why, but somehow we dumb Americans started calling tanned leather lacing "rawhide" quite a while back and it aggravates me. Real rawhide will be thin, stiff, and strongly resist being twisted into cordage. Leather will be far softer, show more grain, flexes more easily, and can be corded or braided up.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TexPat

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 04:09:41 pm »
Aksel,

I agree with the sentiment about trying stuff out to see what sticks. I somehow keep stumbling upon ERC lumber that is straight grained, mostly not free, and super affordable. So I think I am going to experiment with a few different backing methods and see what shakes out. Ill post my progress as I make it. Thank goodness for christmas break so I can get some work done (Im a high school teacher for my day job).

Offline TexPat

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2022, 04:12:20 pm »
Now, is that actual RAWHIDE, or is it leather lacing? I have no idea how or why, but somehow we dumb Americans started calling tanned leather lacing "rawhide" quite a while back and it aggravates me. Real rawhide will be thin, stiff, and strongly resist being twisted into cordage. Leather will be far softer, show more grain, flexes more easily, and can be corded or braided up.

I used to make a lot of my bosals and other tack out of various types of leather lacing and rawhide. So I tend to double check its actual rawhide before purchasing lol. I can regularly get 1/8th inch rawhide lacing in 50 foot strands for not too much money. Cheap enough to try this idea out lol.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 04:43:23 pm »
 didnt mean to discourage you, good luck on your projects,, :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 11:55:38 am »

I used to make a lot of my bosals and other tack out of various types of leather lacing and rawhide. So I tend to double check its actual rawhide before purchasing lol. I can regularly get 1/8th inch rawhide lacing in 50 foot strands for not too much money. Cheap enough to try this idea out lol.

Well, alrighty then! Seeing as how that is real rawhide, I would suggest wetting the rawhide, stretching it slightly, and then twisting up a two-strand cord. While it is still wet, give it a good stretch and lock it down while it dries. With the rawhide cords twisted and dried under some tension, I think it would give greater resistance to the back of the bow.

Next, spend some time googling Aleut or Alaskan native cable-backed bows for ideas and inspiration.

This is a very fascinating idea and I really hope you will post progress pictures as well as a final report on your findings. THAT is what this group is all about! Man, I can hardly wait to see how this plays out!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 10:17:29 pm »
Long time reader, first time poster here.

I am fairly new to bow building and am exploring some backing options. I am really interested in cord backing. I know the TBB guys have some anecdotes about backing with silk cord or nylon as a way to shift the neutral plane and take some tension off the back. I was thinking about using some rawhide lacing (1/8, 1/4, or 1/2 inch wide) to loop between the nocks. In theory, it seems like it would dry into some recurve, which could get rid of the need for the winding of the cordage. The only thing I am thinking could be an issue would be the the stretch or recovery properties of rawhide in that configuration. I know people use rawhide with glue in a single layer.

If anybody has any experience with cord backing or rawhide cord backing in particular, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Tex,
when I first read TBB, I was intrigued by all the different possibie ways and methods to build a bow. As an experimenter at heart, my best advice is to not try too many experiments concurrently on the same bow.  You will have a hard time knowing just where something went right (or wrong).

two different uses for backing were addressed in TBB. Some backings are overlays to help to protect a back from dings or to prevent a splinter from lifting.
Other backings are a structural part of the bow and will hopefully add performance.

ERC needs something to help with the stress on the back, as it will not take as much strain on the back as most bow woods.
This was also the case with some of the conifers (spruce) used on the eskimo cable bows.
Eskimo bowyers had access to sinew from large mammals, but not much in way of the stronger plant based bast fibers commonly found in lower lattitudes.

cable bows I have built needed beefy nocks to keep the cable loops from splitting down the limb at full draw. extra thickness at the nock shoulder and padding on the loops helped. admittedly, I was experimenting with some modern fibers and was working with higher tensions than the original  bows likely experienced

To get the most work out of a cable backing, it needs to be elevated above the bow back. The bridges are obvious in the haida bow pic whereas the sketch by mason shows sinew wrappings which not only helped center the cord, but also probably served to raise the cable some lesser amount.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:27:43 pm by willie »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 10:57:46 pm »
just got a feelig its not gonna improve performance,in any state,, it will protect a back,,but sinew is a better candidate