Author Topic: fig for bow wood?  (Read 7674 times)

Offline jamesches

fig for bow wood?
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »
i have nice piece of fig wood..its the perfect shape for a bow. so i was wondering how well of a bow wood it is? ive already started on it >:D therefore i cannot stop till its finished, but i would like to know what i can look forward to. :D

Offline kevinsmith5

Re: fig for bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:00:33 pm »
My fig limbs seem pretty weak when I trim them. They make good wood chips for smoking fish.

Offline jamesches

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:12:19 pm »
thats how most of mine are too(ill have too try the fish smoking :o) but this one got taken from rear the heart of the tree and its about an inch thick and very springy.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25:01 am »
If it produces fruit it makes a good bow (rule of thumb)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:56:51 am »
Anyone ever tried peach?(asking this as I studiously don't eyeball my neighbors peach trees)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 01:54:21 am »
PatB has a peach bow in the works. I made a sweet shooter from a piece of apricot. Fruit wood is good bow wood:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:36 am »
If it produces fruit it makes a good bow (rule of thumb)
The vast majority of Angiosperms produce fruits, so that is a very disputable statement.  With the exception of yew and juniper (and a few other Gymnosperms), all other bowwoods are in the Angiosperm group and do produce fruits.
A "fruit tree" is not the same as a "fruit producing tree", as the first is a common name for the plants that produce our fruits we find in the supermarket (apple, pear, plum, peach etc.) while the latter indicated any tree that produces fruits (for instance, balsa wood also produces fruits, although you wouldn't call that a fruit tree).
I personally avoid the term 'fruit tree', as this creates confusion. Would a mango, papaya, lychee, grape or carambola tree be called a 'fruit tree'? In our temperate climate, I think the term 'fruit tree' would apply to fruit bearing trees in the family Rosaceae. Most woods from this family are indeed very decent bowwoods (pear, apple, plum, cherry, apricot, peach).

While fig is in the same family Moraceae as osage (and thus mulberry), I don't think it makes good bowwood. The wood is weak, soft and the latex precludes its use for many purposes.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:50:13 am »
I made a sweet little shooter from peach, I love that wood as a bow wood and if you come across any, would trade you straight across with osage. It carves like butter, smells like peach cobbler out the oven, takes little set, and has a beautiful color. I used the tines of a deer for recurves on my bow and the bow did well untill I tried heat treating reflex into it and went to far. I cracked open the belly and under tension the back opened up. I rawhide patched it and it held for a while until the patch started to fail. Now it is braced and a wall hanger. She came out to right at 40 at 24 if I remember right before I messed it up with heat. My biggest advice is this wood loves to check, so split it and seal it asap!

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 06:53:36 am »
here's a post on a fig bow, maybe it will help ya out, Bub http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2042.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:11 pm »
OH,UHHHH, sorry for Hi-Jacking....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »
Every rule has an exception. Use the "Rule of thumb" and common sense rules out the latter.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline AH

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:14 pm »
I used to have a fig tree, and when the gardener chopped off some branches, I took a piece that looked like a decent stave. I found out immediately that its not osage ;)  my bow got 7 inches of string follow...