Author Topic: Osage board? Know where I can find?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Osage board? Know where I can find?
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:23:26 am »
Anyone know where I fand a thicker osage slab?  I like my board bow approach.  My dream is to get a 4' log section then resaw it into quarter sawn 1.5" slabs.  Splice the handles and I'm good to go for several bows.

I'm sorrounded by Osage but can never seem to get my hands on any.

Offline bushboy

Re: Osage board? Know where I can find?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:03:38 pm »
I think osage is pretty easy to get if you live in the states,echo archery sell it and many more suppliers.google it,now finding it in canada is more of a challenge.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:24:26 pm »
Where do you live?  Some specialty lumber stores will have it, i would think especially if it's a local wood.  still hard to find because of demand (that is... not much of demand, so they don't supply a lot of it) , but I have found two places in my area that sell it.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:56:30 pm »
Uh...not to sound like a smart arse...but if your surrounded by it why not just ask if you can cut it..and if they say no...drive down the road to the next farm and ask....I've never been turned down....NEVER.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:01:42 pm »
Id try the internet. Type "Osage lumber" and hit "ENTER". I bet you will be wading through many options.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:09:50 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tanner

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »
Uh...not to sound like a smart arse...but if your surrounded by it why not just ask if you can cut it..and if they say no...drive down the road to the next farm and ask....I've never been turned down....NEVER.

x2  - I've found (in the midwest) that most folks who have Osage would prefer to clear it out. It used to be super valuable to make fence posts, but now I think that most farmers feel that it's more of a fenceline-weed than anything. Doesn't hurt to ask. Just be good people and you'll be surprised how easy it is. Also - check with park managers for public parks if there are any near you. I have a thread on here that i recently posted where I was able to get (or will be getting soon) a nice Osage log that the DNR had cut down.

Good luck!

Offline AH

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:35:42 pm »
seems they sell osage boards here on three rivers archery:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Osage+Bow+Building+Lumber+5%2F8+x+%2868-72%29_i4428_baseitem.html
I'm not sure I'd trust the quality though without seeing the wood myself.
 ;)