Author Topic: DIY Forged Bodkins - An Englishman's attempt...  (Read 8356 times)

Offline egstonvonbrick

DIY Forged Bodkins - An Englishman's attempt...
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:55:11 pm »
DIY Forged Bodkins and a two-brick forge.

Well... i've been promising myself that i would go self-sufficient in all archery kit.
I've fire hardened points - attempted flint knapping, and cut broadheads from plate - but the major item holding be back me back was forged bodkins!
(i'm still working on flint-knapping but my knee hurts)
So after swotting up and some consultancy (thanks Paul)... here are my efforts.

The goal was to come up with a DIY forge that the average chap could safely use and make with minimal investment.

It all worked better than i had hoped, even allowing for temperatures (yellow) to allow hammer welding...
(knifes and pattern welding are also on the list)

The setup involves the following kit...
1 x Propane canister, regulator and torch (commonly available and not that expensive)
2 x fire bricks (attack these with your tool of choice - and hollow a semicircular groove lengthways in both bricks and a similar channel halfway along the bricks).
Some tongs and hammers
Something to forge against - anvil, railway sleeper, hardened hammer head or anything suitable
Water
Belt sander for finishing
Oil for tempering

<<Man with clipboard mode = ON>>
NOTE: Now i'm not usually one with much time for Elf+Safety tom-foolery and telling other people how to live their lives.
But - If you are going to mess around with very sharp things, very hot things, gas, grinding etc. then please put on your goggles, pinnies, sensible footwear, mask - when grinding - and ensure tiddles and all those you love are out of harms way and know what you are up to!
<<Man with clipboard mode = OFF>>

Hopefully the series of pictures below will explain the process.
To encourage you all, in a day i managed to produce 10 bodkins and reach a level of competency i was happy with.
I have now told myself i have to make 12 dozen bodkins until i can do it blindfold!
At the end of the day i could happily knock out a thin-walled socketed bodkin better than most i have paid for and as good as the others! ;)

I also tried a fatter 'war' 'broadhead' from 1/2" stock that went well and a hammer welded broad head that although ugly taught many lessons and will only be improved on!

The cost of this setup has more than saved me the cost of a dozen top-notch bodkins! ;)

So... on with the pics...
Hopefully i have proven that this is not hard or beyond the ken of most men, cos if a biffa like me can do it... :)

Pic#1, Pick#2 and Pic#3: Two-brick Forge - Here we can see the two brick forge with the heat being directed through the centre hole - the stock is fed in longitudinally allowing you to direct  heat efficiently where needed.

Pic#4, Pic#5,  Pic#6,  Pic#7,
Here you can see the stock (8mm mild steel) after heating and offered up to the anvil, the socket-flat being created, reheated, beaten some more and the socket folded.

Pic#8, Pic#9 and Pic#10
The bodkin has been reheated and the end chisseled off so that if can be beaten and drawn to a point. An intermediate stage is to define the transition between socket and head by rolling and beating.
The last pic shows the finished item and the next piece in the forge.

Pic#11
A collection of bodkins building up, steadily improving.
The one stuck in the desk was thrown and landed with a most agreeable thud and you can in this one i have achieved a nice thin-walled circular socket.

Pic#12
Here is a progression from the first i made to number seven, as you can see the first although serviceable is not very aesthetically pleasing, has no definition between socket and head and the head is quite small. The middle one has gone a bit chunky and still lacks definition.
The third i hope you'll agree is not a bad looking fella at all - even if do say so myself! ;)

Still work to do and i plan to 'production-ise' the next batch so that i make consistent batches of 12.

Pic#13
Here are my attempts at the 'war' bodkin and a swept type-15.
Again although these lack the aesthetics i was after, for my first attempt i was quite chuffed.
The war bodkin needs to be 'chunkier' with a fatter head and the type-15 needs more work, but was a test on a part made bodkin (you can see the notch that was not needed) but did prove the forge can cope with hammer welding.

Stock - I used 8mm mild steel for most and for the next batch will move up to 10mm.
The war bodkin was 1/2" mild steel and the type15 a mild steel core with EN9 tangs that will temper up nicely.
The next batch will be EN9 that works like mild steel (although you can't get away with cold working) and i will then temper them with blue heat and a dipping in oil.

Hope this was of interest, apologies for rambling on and if you have any questions please ask away!

Cheers
Ev
p.s. Look what i picked up at a car boot sale for a paltry sum - a leg vice - which will suffice as a decent anvil - blooming bargain!
Nah, that'll be alright...

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: DIY Forged Bodkins - An Englishman's attempt...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:59:30 pm »
I would be a bit put out if I were hit with the poorest representation of the lot!  Not bad, right out of the gate.  Good work!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:24:50 pm »
They are just forgeries I tell you! :laugh:
Good stuff, I shall make one of those two brick forges.
I'll have to count both my bricks to see if I have enough. ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline CaptainBeaky

• Maker of stuff
    • Westmead Artificing
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 05:58:10 am »
Jolly good show, what? :D Very impressed with even the first one.

Something else I shall have to try...

Observations on the 2-brick forge (I'm on my second):

Works better if -
Main cavity is bottle-shaped, with the exit port slightly smaller than the entrance where you put your stock
Side port is about 1/3 of the way from the entrance end, angled slightly towards the exhaust end, and enters the main cavity at a tangent to the bore. This gives a good swirl around the bore in a spiral, and gives more even heating, especially on larger stock. It also results in less blowback through the entrance port, this being much more economical on gloves... ;)

I would hasten to add that the above is not solely based on my own experimentation (the bit with the glove is a notable exception!) - if you look for 2-brick forge on the British Blades forum, there is a lot of info on there.

Best regards

Peter
The law hangs the man and flogs the woman
That steals the goose from off the common
But lets the greater villain loose
That steals the common from under the goose.

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:01:05 pm »
 how  much  Propane. do you  burn   while  working those. i have  wanted to try this but with  rail road spikes to make knife  blades and other stuff .

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:35:34 pm »
>>Works better if...

Thanks for the advice, seems obvious when you think about it - as it was when upping the blast to get to yellow-heat there was a fair old flame pouring out of each end!
So your trick should cure this and also allow better draft and thus be more efficient!

I can see a MkII and III coming along as more efficiency is good but i may have to sacrifice some of this to allow wider stock to still play.

Cheers
Ev

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:39:03 pm »
>>how  much  Propane. do you  burn

I'm guessing not much - being a cheap skate i was turning it down between trips to the anvil! :)

Although a large Propane tank that was 'empty' for 'serious work' seemed to work well enough in this setup... i'll keep an eye on it but i think it's quite an efficient little setup - even more so when i've tweaked the design as noted above! :)

Cheers
Ev

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »
sounds good.  keep us posted . 8)

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »
They are just forgeries I tell you! :laugh:
Good stuff, I shall make one of those two brick forges.
I'll have to count both my bricks to see if I have enough. ::)
Del
Del - Just made me spit coffee at the screen

Nice looking points. Like your forge. If you want to save on propane make two points at once one heats and the other your banging on.Rotation. Good looking spring vice.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:23:20 pm »
Very cool. This thread is going into my favorites for later reference. Thanks for sharing.