Author Topic: prepping back between sinew layers?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline DuBois

prepping back between sinew layers?
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:05:23 am »
I have a sinewed bow tillered to full draw length but it came in a few pounds light and also lost some of the reflex. Was sinewed with 3 courses about a month ago using Knox.
I am gonna put another thick layer on it.

Is there is anything I need to do to prep the back first?

mikekeswick

Re: prepping back between sinew layers?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 03:52:22 am »
Adding sinew will increase the draw weight a little but it will likely make it less efficent. Better to start again, remember sinew/glue is heavier than wood.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:46:42 am »
If it is 49" NTN, would the extra mass matter much?

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:54:46 am »
if you could post a pic or two of the bow, others may have interesting ways of adding weight. I have several, but only having dealt with self bows. Perhaps if you can recurve the bow, you can will get more draw weight. Or tie on siyahs, or just build up the tips of the bow a bit on the back. The result of all thee is the draw length stays the same, but forces the wood to bend further, storing more energy. You could cable back it with string bridges, pike an inch off each limb, and re carve your nocks.  But again, pics would help. How much weight are you trying to go for, and where are you at?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:02:34 am »
Hey Kevin,
I was looking for about 45# at 24" but am around 35 instead. I allready have tip overlays to build the tips a bit so I don't want to pike it.
I didn't have the floor tiller even early enough and by the time I evened up it was light :o
I will post some pics asap. I am at work right now....shhh ;)

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:49 am »
Alright man, no worries. An underweight well tillered bow is worth more than one that hit the weight, but poorly tillered. IMHO. DOnt worry, I wont tell yer boss... Anyways, I am hittin the sack, lookin forward to pics in the morning. By the way, you can cut the tip overlays off and save them if you are careful....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others