Author Topic: biased grain BBO ?'s  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Matt A

biased grain BBO ?'s
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:30:50 am »
i've got a large osage board that has grain on edge good enough  for a biased grain glue up for 66 inches. however the one end i'm limited to only an inch and a quarter width due to some cracks that look natural not from drying only on the one side.

so my question is, is an inch and a quarter wide BBO that length bend through handle to 30 inch draw pushing it?

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: biased grain BBO ?'s
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:34:31 am »
I think you can do it with that, might get a little stack but i think it will hold up.  ;)
SW Utah

Offline Matt A

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 01:41:06 am »
recommend english warbow tiller or just flattish/slightly rounded ya think

Offline Matt A

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 01:42:21 am »
part with straight enough grain is about a inch and a quarter thick so i could probably get 2 tries out of it and see if that crack is that deep too.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:44:34 am »
It would depend on the weight but since its osage I think you would be fine with either. Personally though I would just do a slightly rounded belly because i love rounded bellies on osage!
SW Utah

Offline Matt A

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:47:35 am »
yeah thinking of reflexing about 18 inches of the end of each limb and going narrow tips and see if this thing can start an arrow on fire !  >:D

Offline Matt A

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 12:05:38 am »
anybody else think that this would be pushing it for 30 inches of draw?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 12:13:15 am »
A 66" stave will give you a 64" n/n bow and that is doable for a 30" draw but your tillering will have to be right on. I wouldn't over stress it more by reflexing the tips. You might put a few inches of reflex throughout the entire bow. Also get the limbs to bend right up to the handle or have it bend through the handle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt A

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 12:15:56 am »
I could do that I like the look of the unbraced bows that have the slight reflex through the entire length, how many inches should i put in to start you think?
and glue them in or heat/steam the reflex in?