Author Topic: What do you think of ERC as tip overlay material?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline autologus

What do you think of ERC as tip overlay material?
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:10:26 pm »
I was wondering what you all thought about using ERC heartwood as overlay material for tips?  It would sure make some pretty tips but was a little concerned about the density, I know there are plenty of ERC bows with self nocks and they hold up well.  Just a thought.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What do you think of ERC as tip overlay material?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:52:10 pm »
Being as soft as it is I wouldnot think it would work well on its own. You might try a test by saturating it with super glue to see if that makes it less soft and more appropriate for tip overlays.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:21:28 pm »
I always consider why we add overlays to start with, that usually make the material used an easy decision for me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 01:53:11 pm »
I did it once one broke after two hundred shots or so, I replaced them with Osage.
I like free stuff.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:03:26 pm »
Your sting will probably dent into the wood and after a couple hundred shots end up sheering straight threw it
I like osage

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »
I was concerned with the density of the wood as an overlay, it would have looked nice but I was afraid of it not being able to take the stress of the string and splitting.  That was my general ideas on the wood but was just wondering what you all thought as well.  I guess I can get some Bloodwood to complement the cherry bark backing.

Grady

Offline anglobow

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:12:19 pm »
I use the hardest wood that I can find for overlays. Desert ironwood, snakewood, and cocobolo have worked well for me and they are purdy lookin' too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 05:01:16 pm »
In most cases tip overlays are cosmetic and not necssary. For softer woods like yew or ERC, tip overlays are more necessary than cosmetic. What wood is your bow made of?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:09:42 pm »
It is Kentucky Coffee Bean, it is pretty dense and would be fine without overlays but I am going to back it with Cherry Bark and wanted something pretty to accent it.

Grady

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:25 pm »
can you use something like ebony or horn or something like that on top of the erc, even if its super thin and is just enough horn or wood to protect the erc?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline DavidV

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:46:34 pm »
It'll work fine, I've used it plenty of times -_-  If you're that worried, put a hard finish like polyurethane or epoxy on the tips before you tiller it.
Springfield, MO

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:57:11 am »
Never tried it as overlays.  I've made a few selfbows of it without overlays and the string cuts pretty deep in time.  That is with sapwood though. The heartwood is harder, but probably not hard enough.  I would recommend getting some small pieces of pink ivory from woodcraft.  Just as pretty, but very hard and dense.  Just my .02 .  Josh