Author Topic: What is Lodgepole?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Cromm

What is Lodgepole?
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:07:27 am »
Hi, I saw an ad  for POC and LODGEPOLE shafts. I know what POC is but not the Lodgepole,s. Can anybody help? Also is it a good wood to use or do i stay with POC like  i have in the past? ??? Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline stiknstring

Re: What is Lodgepole?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:18:41 am »
Come hunting with me in Montana and I will show you what a lodgepole pine is....TALL skinny and they grow in our higher elevations.  I been thinking about bringing some back from a trip and making some arrows but have gotten side tracked with red osier.....If you google search the images you can probably find it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:21:16 am »
I would assume that they're talking about lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta). Pine makes a pretty good shaft, at least some varieties. I'm not crazy about POC, myself-to me it's overpriced and fragile.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:24:36 pm »
Hi, I've used both POC and pine shafting.  The lodgepole pine is heavier and slightly tougher.  Both are easy to straighten and tend to stay straight.   I've also used some pine shafting sold as "chondo" which appears to lodgepole pine.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 01:38:23 am »
Aye matey...CHUNDOO is indeed lodgepole pine....garrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I dont know why I did that....just feeling weird