Author Topic: SHARK!!!  (Read 1371 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

SHARK!!!
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:26:12 pm »
So I finally got out and did some shark fishing.  Brought a shark home the other day.  I'd like to confess that I am very inexperienced at skinning animals.  Any pointers on how to skins a shark/anything would be greatly appreciated.  Anyway, skinning this shark was a pain in the butt!!!  It took way too long and began to wear on my patience.  In the spirit of using as much of the animal as possible I kept at it and finally had the skin off.  I nailed it stretched out and let it dry in the sun shine with the inside of the skin facing up.  A few buzzards came by and picked at some of the flesh that had been left on and I appreciated that.  So here is the skin after it was dried.

As you can see it's a pretty rough looking piece of rawhide.  However, I was very proud of how the dorsal fin stuck out.  My initial plan was to trade it.  Looking so crappy I figured I couldn't trade and I would be better off just using it for something.  While I was bending and working the hide I folded it and eureka!  Quiver!  So I found some cordage I made a while ago and got to work on a quiver.  This is the first quiver I have ever made.  So here it is!

It will probably fit three or so complete arrows in it so I guess I could use it whenever I do end up hunting. 

I hate to be a barer of bad news but unless I can find a better way to skin a shark or pay someone else to do it, I'm probably not going to be keeping many more for their skins.  That means I won't be able to trade shark skins.  Sorry to the folks that were interested in shark skins.

On a more positive note the shark was delicious!  Don't believe me?  Here's a picture for proof!  Shark taco!

My fishing buddy with a different shark.  This dude comes ready to rock!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:12:15 pm by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline seabass

Re: SHARK!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:36:21 pm »
the taco looks delicious and the quiver looks cool.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:38:20 pm »
One thing for sure , I don't have one like that !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:00:19 pm »
Thats the 1st one I have seen, looks pretty cool.
I have also eaten sand shark, soak the Piss out of it and it was good. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:18:48 pm »
i think i would try that, wanna swap some shark meat for fox meat? :P (im only half joking) i would love to try it and i must say that is one nice quiver. i think there is a fishmonger near me that sells shark meak and baby sharks. got a recipie? thanks
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 04:26:29 am »

As Ed says soak the piss out of it.  Actually he is right on, as they have a lot of "Uric Acid" in the meat.  You can soak it in brine, in the refrigerator, or soak it in milk.  Either will take the Urea out.  Then just rinse, pat dry, and use your favorite seasoning , or batter, with seasonings. ;)  I do believe the "Fish and chips" in your neck of the woods, Bowslayer was shark. ;)  Cool idea.  Shark skin was used for centuries as sand paper.  Also trigger fish skin.  Trigger fish is delicious!
There is a strip on either side of the back, that fantastic. ;)  What?!!  You didn't make shark fin soup!?  Silly round eye!
Go on line for recipes for shark fin soup. ;)

Wayne

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:13:11 pm »
 8) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)