Author Topic: Moontree locust  (Read 7741 times)

Offline DLH

Re: Moontree locust
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 11:48:19 pm »
This is my latest progress I hope I haven't braced it too soon was trying to get the shortest long string possible but ended up around an inch brace so I went with it. I think the blue spots I have marked are stiff and the yellow spot is bending too much. I also believe the left limb is stiffer than the right. In that case does the left limb need to have wood removed until its even and how does removing wood on one limb effect the other or is that something that is learned along the way? I'm not completely convinced about the stiff spots though since they didn't start out with an even side profile. I don't want to go any farther until I get it evened out it feels really light at the moment but not worried about weight right now. Am I on the right path or do I need to change direction?

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 01:14:21 am »
I know your original question was answered weeks ago, but I just thought I'd share a tip I use to get the grooves identical, every time, with no jig.  Clamp the bow on it's side and file the first groove wherever you plan on having them.  Then flip the bow over so the opposite side is face up, and place the file underneath in the groove you just cut.  Looking straight down from above, you can line up a second file using the one below as a guide.  Easy peasy!

Offline DLH

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 01:57:29 am »
Thanks for all the helpful hints guys. I have been working on it today since I have a long holiday. I have it to a higher brace now around  5in I think it is pretty even except in maybe in one spot. The handle also isn't tracking through the handle should I correct that before going any farther? The side the string tracks to is the shelf side if that helps any. Sorry the brace picture may be hard to see very well everywhere I wanted to take a picture it wasn't working so I went with the vice pic. I can get better pictures tomorrow.

Offline DLH

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 12:44:50 am »
Here is my latest progress at 16 in. I thought it looked good on the tree then I didn't maybe I'm changing what I think it should look like. I think it looks better in the hand but not perfect by no means. I think its stiff right below my hand and in the outer lower limb? Starting to bend too much mid limb on the bottom? Also a little stiff right above my hand but not very far up and bending too much right where the small door panel starts and stiff around the knot. What do you all think?

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 10:35:30 am »
I would not disagree with your assessment.  Even out the flat spots to match the areas that are bending too much.  When you do that, those areas that are bending too much will flatten out some themselves.  Run a straight edge along the belly and check the gap from grip to tip.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline DLH

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 12:22:25 am »
This is where I made it to this evening it hasn't changed a whole lot that I can tell. I still think it looks stiff about 6in below the handle on the bottom limb and maybe 3-4in above the handle on the top limb. I also think the both limbs are stiff in the outer limbs. Do you guys take more wood off on spots that seem stiffer I assume yes. For example I think the bottom limb out of the handle is stiffer than the top limb out of the handle could I give the bottom 50 scraps and the top 30 scraps and check the tiller again? Is this a good practice or no? Sorry for the large photo can't get it to resize.

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 01:27:03 am »
Yes, remove a little wood from the stiff areas.  Try to get the limbs evened up and then you can remove wood equally from both.  Be careful, once you get close to the final weight, it can be easy to take off to much and end up with a light bow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 09:13:10 am »
Do you have a tiller tree or board?  Put your bow on the tree and draw to this length.  Take a straight edge of some kind, 4 inches or so, and run it along the belly.  The gap will tell you if it's flat.  It either is or it isn't.  Your getting close to the point where 10 different people can give you 5 different opinions on what they see and how to proceed.  The straight edge will reveal truth.  Does the gap agree with your feeling about the flat spots you see?  If so, scrape until they are no longer flat, 10 scrapes, exercise and check the gap, repeat until you've evened out the gap.           I think you look better in the latest pic.  I also think you could be getting hingey both limbs, 6 inches from the handle.  Does the straight edge confirm this diagnosis or reveal something totally different?  Fix what you find at this length and then draw it a bit farther and check it again.   
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.