Author Topic: Is it to late for sinew?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Bignasty

Is it to late for sinew?
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:50 pm »
I posted awhile back about my first hickory bow since then I have shot the bow about 150 times. Its got about an inch and a half deflex in each limb and I was wondering if its to late use a low heat to flatten the bow back out and lay a couple layers of sinew to add some extra draw weight and help keep it alittle flatter.

Offline Newindian

Re: Is it to late for sinew?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:43:42 pm »
No, how long is the bow though, to long and the sinew will slow it down might want to lop of some length, you'll gain some weight that way to
I like free stuff.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:17 pm »
Why not just use heat by itself to temper and reflex? Apparently sinew is a pain. I've had good success tempering bows even after they've been tillered out and have taken moderate set, the two I've done had 1.5 inches of string follow, heat treated 2 inches of reflex, and they came out flat after shooting in. And they're slightly lighter, because I had to remove wood to get them down to weight again.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:25:47 pm »
Ditto what Tactical said.................
I've made a few successfull bows from Hickory. Heat treating/temper the belly works real well with hickory.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:28:03 pm »
1.5 inches of set is quite acceptable particularly if you started from a straight stave. Enjoy your bow as is. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 10:42:46 pm »
I've taken a lot of hickory bows and recurved them a second time and then heat treated the belly. It usually brings it back and picks up a few more pounds of weight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bignasty

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:20 pm »
64" ntn.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:01:50 pm »
I would heat treat it after straightening it and save the sinew for a wood that is not so temperamental with moisture.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:19:16 am »
Yes it is too late. Once set has happened it is irrversable. The belly cells has been crushed and that is that. However you can heat treat and 'remove' some of it but it is by far and away a better iedea to heat treat at about 20 inches of draw before the set happens.
Sinew is a terrible way to add draw-weight to an existing shot in bow. Don't waste your time. Sinew a fresh stave.

Offline Bignasty

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 01:18:13 pm »
heat treating it is then