Author Topic: Nose Jammer: Ethical or No?  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Nose Jammer: Ethical or No?
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:06:31 pm »
So I seen a commercial for Nose Jammer the other day and I've done some reading on it. Essentially it is a scent control product that jams up the deer's olfactory system rendering them unable to smell you. Apparently it is also proven to reduce the startle reflex not only in deer but in humans as well.

In my mind this product (if it actually works) is outside of my definition of a fair chase hunt. I'm cool with masking or augmenting my own scent because that is something that I am doing to myself. But jamming up a deer's nose so that it can't smell me even when my scent is on the air is crossing a line on my moral compass. I think its okay to improve your chances by reducing your own sensory footprint. But when you start messing with the deer's own abilities then that is taking it a step to far in my opinion. For example, I think its okay to wear the best camo you can get your hands on. But it would not be okay to somehow blind or otherwise handicap the deer's vision so that it can't see you.

Add that to their claim that Nose Jammer actually impairs their startle-reflex, and I think that you are basically doing the equivalent of hunting a drugged animal. That's just my two scents. What do you guys think?

Offline lostarrow

Re: Nose Jammer: Ethical or No?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »
Have my doubts that it's legal around here. If it is , it shouldn't be. Sounds like chemical warfare to me. What happens when you leave the hunt and that crap is still laying about, effecting every animal that comes  around. i'm with you on this one ,buddy. Seems pretty black and white to me.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »
I bet you draw the line on G-beams, too ;D ;). That stuff would be great in camp when everyone is having to use only one toilet.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:58 pm »
One thing that came to mind with me was to ask how long the effects last.  Is it going to hurt this animals chances in smelling the mountain lion that runs the same woods I do? Am I hurting the animal's chance of fair escape?

I can see the day when we have suits like "Predator" and hunt deer.  Scent control, bends light around us making us invisible, infrared blocking, sound muffling.  But is it fair chase?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:59:22 am »
Nope, it is not ethical. you can do whatever you want to yourself, but when you mess with other creatures....
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 01:01:13 pm »
One thing that came to mind with me was to ask how long the effects last.  Is it going to hurt this animals chances in smelling the mountain lion that runs the same woods I do? Am I hurting the animal's chance of fair escape?

I can see the day when we have suits like "Predator" and hunt deer.  Scent control, bends light around us making us invisible, infrared blocking, sound muffling.  But is it fair chase?

From their description it sounds like it wouldn't last very long. They compared it to your sense of smell dulling in a restaurant. When you first walk in you smell the food strongly, but by the time you leave you have acclimatized. I'm guessing from that description that it would wear off in a matter of minutes. But who knows really?

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:47:14 pm »
All ya need to kill a deer is two sticks some cordage and a pointy rock.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:28:21 pm »
You have got to be kidding. Hell no it's not ethical at all an if there's any one who uses it I really hope they don't call themselves a hunter Because their not
I like osage

Offline Roy

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:20:59 am »
I think it's a bunch of bull crap.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:37:51 am »
I think I'll just save the money and stay downwind.  I've spent my entire adult life patterning local deer habits according to wind direction and I'd hate for all that work to go to waste.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
I think I'll just save the money and stay downwind.  I've spent my entire adult life patterning local deer habits according to wind direction and I'd hate for all that work to go to waste.

Couldnt agree more. Beating a deers nose by getting the wind direction right is 95 percent of the hunt. It really pisses me off how commercialized deer hunting has become in the last 20 years and its getting worse every day. There are some folks out there who will buy any new gadget that they come up with just to give them a better chance at killing a "trophy" buck but totally disregarding the ethics of it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:50:30 pm »
For the same effect, buy a high power scoped rifle, kill all the deer you want at 300 yds, they will never smell you.

Now, if you really want to be a hunter, don't buy trail cams, camo, set blocker spray or other modern "necessities", and simply learn to hunt.

We all settle into a comfort zone with what we consider hunting equipment, my vice is a modern made comfortable seat or tree stand, nothing traditional about either one. A badly broken back years ago necessitates a special kind of perch to for me to stay immobile for hours in the woods. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

I don't wear camo, buy any hunting equipment except broadheads ( I am a lousy flintknapper) but do hunt with a flintlock I built from scratch as well as my selfbow. This is my comfort zone.

If your comfort zone is to pattern deer with a trail cam, throw out a pile of corn, hide in a double bull blind and and kill a deer with your sinew backed osage bow and a flint tipped cane arrow and call it primitive hunting, go for it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 03:45:54 pm »
I'm with you, Eric. Everytime an "ethical" topic comes up on a thread I have to roll my eyes. It seems like everybody has their own personal idea what is ethical and you can debate are argure about it till the cows come home.

I remember when tree stands started being used, all the talk about how unethical that was. And, maybe it is ::).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 06:17:14 pm »
For me, it comes down to asking myself before going out "Aaron, can you afford to hunt today or is killing meat the priority?"

Bow season generally leans to hunting.  I have all the time in the world.  I can be picky.  By rifle season, if I haven't made meat the pressure's on. By muzzleloader,  I have 2 tags (if I'm lucky and drew an anterless) with which to fill my freezer, and "sport" has been entirely removed from the equation short of violating game law.

On the other hand, I hunt because I don't have the financial means to secure quality protein for my family.  If I had the cash to drop on the "latest and greatest"  I would be more likely to spend it on a side of beef every fall.  If that was the case,  I would "hunt" all season with a bent stick.

Thank you for this thread.  You have really made me think.

Learning to hunt in a dirt poor family, I was taught to look to tactics as opposed to gear for success.  This has had more of an impact on my views of hunting "ethics" than I think I realized.

My view on wheels, autoloaders, scent bombs and charcoal suits is not so much "It's cheating", but more along the lines of "superfluous".  If I set up my ambush right, that deer is coming within 20 yards of me with the wind in my face, and I will be taking it's life with thanks.

If someone else has the dough and wants to stack the deck further in their favor, more power to them.  The millionaire hunters I know have all the toys, and are still religious about fair chase.  Maybe it's a Vermont thing... who knows.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 12:01:54 am »
I bet you draw the line on G-beams, too ;D ;). That stuff would be great in camp when everyone is having to use only one toilet.
  Hehe... >:D   It would be great Eddie!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.