Author Topic: New Bowyer in CO looking for wood (ELB)  (Read 1529 times)

Hoarfrost

New Bowyer in CO looking for wood (ELB)
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:41:16 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to bowyery and live south of Denver, Colorado. So far I've made a red oak board bow from the big box lumber store. It turned out pretty well but I'd like to try my hand at making a bow from a stave. I bought the TBB's 1-4 and have been enjoying reading those, (I read the tillering chapter last night and learned a lot for next time).

I am interested in the English Longbow style and would like to find some wood that would allow me to make an unbacked 6' tall 160# 60# at 30" hunting ELB. I was hoping someone nearby might have some wood? I don't have much to trade but maybe we could work something out. Thanks!

Michael
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:27:39 pm by Hoarfrost »

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
Re: New Bowyer in CO looking for wood (ELB)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:42 pm »
Hey bud . Just wanted to tell you . You can get strieght grain red cedar 1x2"x6' and strieght grain hickory 1/4"x2x6' and glue them together hickory as the back cedar as the belly ... and then work it just like yew wood it makes an exelent elb... and you should be able to get those woods at a lumber yard . I hope i was helpfull ... also if you want to buy yew wood . The chepest i have found and good quality too . Is medicine bow woods . Google him . Names dave . Super nice old man .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Hoarfrost

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:55:52 pm »
Thanks Rockrush, there's a lumber place (Austin Hardwoods) about a half an hour away that carries more, (the big store here only has red oak, poplar and soft maple) I'm going to try to make it up there soon to see what they have, I'm thinking about trying an Ash board next. I'm looking forward to trying a stave, but not sure if I'm ready to mail-order Yew.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:17:33 pm »
160# hunting bow!?  :o What are you planning on hunting, T-Rex?  ;)  55-60# will bag you a Colorado elk no problem. Making a 100#+ bow is no joke and in my opinion not a second bow type project. That thing will take your head off it it lets go at full draw.

Hoarfrost

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:25:58 pm »
Oh haha, sorry I meant 60#, I'm not up into the dinosaur hunting zone yet!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:28:38 pm »
Haha, ok. I'll get off my soap box then. Good luck with your much more reasonable 60# bow.  :)

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:49 pm »
T-rex!!!!   Make sure you have the proper paper work....but you may have to go to Utah!! :D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 02:45:42 am »
I have some nice red elm I can send you. I don't need any thing for it. PM me your addy info or your cell number and I can send you pics.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Hoarfrost

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:40 am »
Thanks Cipriano, PM sent!